"Send a Message" - Custom filtered email lists

Discussions about the Leader and Clerk Resources on lds.org.
jondrice

"Send a Message" - Custom filtered email lists

Postby jondrice » Sun Jun 11, 2017 4:27 am

Recently the Send a Message application was updated to include more lists (mostly Stake calling related), but also with this line in the release notes "Providing the ability to filter potential recipients by searching for calling and unit name". This is useful, but the results can not be saved as a custom list. Would it be possible to add this functionality?

I know that many secretaries of organizations choose to curate their own email lists instead of using the church provided ones, and some lists may simply be useful for localized needs. For example, in Virginia/Maryland/West Virginia/Washington DC the church has officially supported an annual "Day To Serve" and has representatives at the stake and ward levels that coordinate service activities.

Maybe the Bishop, Stake President, or other individual calling could be the gatekeeper on creating lists - or maybe that doesn't need to be considered. Right now when you use the application, under "Add Recipients" there are drop downs for:

* Stake Callings
    * Ward Callings
    * Members
Maybe a fourth one could be:

* Local Unit Created Lists (or something shorter with that idea)

Thoughts?

Release notes I mentioned: https://www.lds.org/help/support/clerk-resources-release-notes?lang=eng#4.1
Day To Serve website: http://www.daytoserve.org

russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: "Send a Message" - Custom filtered email lists

Postby russellhltn » Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:32 am

jondrice wrote:Recently the Send a Message application was updated to include more lists (mostly Stake calling related), but also with this line in the release notes "Providing the ability to filter potential recipients by searching for calling and unit name". This is useful, but the results can not be saved as a custom list. Would it be possible to add this functionality?

I could see saving the list of callings as a custom list, or perhaps the list of emails in a short-term list so you can edit/add before hitting send, but I can't see saving the list of compiled emails - that would defeat the purpose of have a list that updates with changes in callings.
Have you searched the Wiki?
Try using a Google search by adding "site:tech.lds.org/wiki" to the search criteria.

bfromm
Church Employee
Church Employee

Postby bfromm » Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:29 am

jondrice wrote:This is useful, but the results can not be saved as a custom list. Would it be possible to add this functionality?

This is something we have considered, but we do not have plans to add this functionality at this time. There's a broader strategy related to custom lists we are working on before we consider an enhancement like this. We also continue to focus on transitioning the remaining MLS functionality to LCR such as custom reports.

jondrice

Postby jondrice » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:02 pm

Is the broader strategy publicly available somewhere? Or is it internal only at this time?

snh3

Bishopric no access to LCR

Postby snh3 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:38 pm

I am being told that the Bishopric cannot have full access to LCR, is this correct. I am the membership clerk and frustrated with their saying this and not filling out baptism form and ordination form.

russellhltn
Community Administrator

Postby russellhltn » Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:25 pm

Bishopric does have access to LCR, but not as much as the bishop. Nor would they have membership functions like the clerk.

Someone else will have to address those specific forms.
Have you searched the Wiki?

Try using a Google search by adding "site:tech.lds.org/wiki" to the search criteria.

bfromm
Church Employee
Church Employee

Re: Bishopric no access to LCR

Postby bfromm » Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:35 pm

snh3 wrote:I am being told that the Bishopric cannot have full access to LCR, is this correct. I am the membership clerk and frustrated with their saying this and not filling out baptism form and ordination form.

Bishoprics counselors can print baptism/confirmation and Aaronic Priesthood ordination forms just like the clerks do (Membership > Ordinances, select the ordinance type, search for the member, then click the button to print the form). But only the bishop and clerks can record the ordination after it takes place.

bfromm
Church Employee
Church Employee

Postby bfromm » Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:41 pm

jondrice wrote:Is the broader strategy publicly available somewhere? Or is it internal only at this time?

At a high level, we're looking at the possibility of allowing custom lists to work between systems such as LDS Tools, LCR, and maps.

Return to “Leader and Clerk Resources”