Circled x in home teaching list

Discussions about the Leader and Clerk Resources on lds.org.
wrigjef

Circled x in home teaching list

Post by wrigjef »

In the companion list that shows families, I know that plus sign means add, but what does the x mean?
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: Circled x in home teaching list

Post by lajackson »

wrigjef wrote:In the companion list that shows families, I know that plus sign means add, but what does the x mean?
The circled X means a family was not visited. With the default empty circle, you never knew if the family was not visited or if the home teachers had not reported. The circled X provides a way to know.
wrigjef

Post by wrigjef »

If the circled x is defaulted, does that mean someone went in, at a higher level than a membership clerk, and marked it? I know there has been some discussion in our ward, based on information in the handbook and some recent direction, of not hometeaching the most active. They want us to focus efforts on those that need it most. I'm wondering if the Bishop has designated people as unteachable.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

wrigjef wrote:If the circled x is defaulted,
The empty circle is the default. If it is a check mark or a circled X, someone has gone in and changed it. This could be the elders quorum presidency or high priests group leadership, the bishopric, their clerks or secretaries.

We do not use it to designate whether or not someone is teachable. In fact, I do not believe that would be an appropriate use.

In my current calling, the bishop and I share a list of folks we try to contact regularly. We use it so show whether or not a contact has been made so that we do not duplicate each other's effort.

But the intended purpose is that, at the end of the month, everyone either has a check that they were home taught, or a circle X that they were not. If the circle is empty, we have not made contact with the home teacher, and we do not know if the family was visited or not.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

lajackson wrote:But the intended purpose is that, at the end of the month, everyone either has a check that they were home taught, or a circle X that they were not. If the circle is empty, we have not made contact with the home teacher, and we do not know if the family was visited or not.
That makes sense:
  • Check - taught
  • X - Missed
  • Empty - No report.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Leader and Clerk Resources”