Tithing Declaration Appears Wrong

Discussions about the Leader and Clerk Resources on lds.org.
socker_dad

Tithing Declaration Appears Wrong

Post by socker_dad »

My bishop was reviewing our unit's online Tithing Declaration (with amounts) and doesn't feel like the numbers are correct.

Other than digging through every contribution entered online (I know that the donations turned in manually are correct), is there any way to verify the total amount of contributions? And yes, we know that the totals are only through November 1st.

Roy Ware
Financial Clerk
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: Tithing Declaration Appears Wrong

Post by aebrown »

socker_dad wrote:My bishop was reviewing our unit's online Tithing Declaration (with amounts) and doesn't feel like the numbers are correct.

Other than digging through every contribution entered online (I know that the donations turned in manually are correct), is there any way to verify the total amount of contributions? And yes, we know that the totals are only through November 1st.
It seems to me that the bishop just finished tithing settlement with most of these members. I would have thought that he or a clerk would have asked the question of each member if the statements they received looked correct. Unless there is a specific case where donations made after the initial statement or after tithing settlement were not recorded correctly, I would see no reason to question the records.

But to answer your specific question, the only way to find an error is to dig through every contribution. But that assumes that you have something to compare the records with. How would you know what the correct donations are in order to notice a discrepancy? That would only be possible if you had some records from each donor or have some other way of know what the actual donations were.
socker_dad

Re: Tithing Declaration Appears Wrong

Post by socker_dad »

I haven't tried online donations myself, but is there an option to keep the local unit from seeing these donations?

I am the financial clerk and did think some of the amounts looked low, but also figured that someone's contributions are none of my business. I just add them up and drop them in the bank!

Good point on research. If my records aren't correct, going through them with a fine-toothed comb wouldn't accomplish anything.

Return to “Leader and Clerk Resources”