Quarterly Report Display

Discussions about the Leader and Clerk Resources on lds.org.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Quarterly Report Display

Post by lajackson »

Looking at a completed (3Q) quarterly report on an iPad today, the Convert Detail showed all men as Unordained in the priesthood column. However, when the Print button was pressed, the correct priesthood showed in the pdf file. This is troublesome for the bishop, who does not normally go to the Print button to get a definitive display of his reports.

To troubleshoot, I logged in with my Android phone and was greeted with a Convert Detail display that did not even show the priesthood column, only Gender and Age, nothing further to the right.

Displaying the report at home this evening on a laptop, the proper Convert Detail priesthood is shown on the screen and matches the pdf print file.

Is there any way to make the display consistent between devices? I am especially concerned that the iPad displayed incorrect information, and that the pdf file did not display the same information as the screen display, although I see that from time to time with other LCR items, as well.
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Re: Quarterly Report Display

Post by scgallafent »

This is an issue because of the role you were using. Quorum and group leaders do not have access to priesthood office for anyone who is not assigned to their quorum or group. As a result, this section of the quarterly report shows those members as unordained. The bishop (who has access to that information for all members of the ward) sees the correct data. Clerks would also see the correct data.

There are actually a couple of issues here:
  • Priesthood column should be suppressed for leaders who do not have access to that information (quorum and group leaders*, ward and stake council).
  • The PDF version of the report is showing information beyond what is authorized for that user.
The issue with the column being visible when the user didn't have rights to that information had already logged. We logged a new issue for the bug with the PDF display. (Thanks!)

The phone doesn't show ordination data because the responsive design drops columns so that the data will still fit on the screen. The difference for you between the laptop (data visible) and the iPad (data not visible) is most likely due to using different roles. Check the role picker (yellow drop list at the top right of LCR) to switch between roles and you should see the difference.

* There is a separate issue where you may have rights to see ordination information for some, but not all, members on the report, depending on your role. I don't think it has been decided how that will be handled.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

scgallafent wrote:This is an issue because of the role you were using. . . . As a result, this section of the quarterly report shows those members as unordained.
Your post completely explains what was seen by the various players in the discussion Sunday. Thank you for the thorough explanation.
scgallafent wrote:The issue with the column being visible when the user didn't have rights to that information had already logged. We logged a new issue for the bug with the PDF display. (Thanks!)
You're welcome. [sigh] (There is another topic for the who should see what discussion.)

I fully understand why these things are the way they are, and that the decisions are made at a very high level. And I fully agree with the principles involved. Your explanation will be very helpful in restoring some confidence in the report for those leaders who question its credibility and therefore have decided not to use it.
scgallafent wrote:The phone doesn't show ordination data because the responsive design drops columns so that the data will still fit on the screen.
Well, about this thing called scrolling. . . [My responsive fingers got that out before I could stop them, sorry.]

I never would have figured out the rationale behind the dropped columns, since even the data shown does not fit on my phone and I have to scroll to see all of the top part of the report. I would not mind scrolling to see all of the bottom of the report, either, if it is decided to provide that option.
scgallafent wrote:The difference for you between the laptop (data visible) and the iPad (data not visible) is most likely due to using different roles.
Exactly so. I, the laptop owner, have more visibility in my role than he, the iPad owner. It was the phone that threw us off.
scgallafent wrote:* There is a separate issue where you may have rights to see ordination information for some, but not all, members on the report, depending on your role. I don't think it has been decided how that will be handled.
My vote (which does not count): let the high priests group leader and the elders quorum president see the information. They usually work together on home teaching assignments anyway and need to know where best to concentrate their efforts.

Thanks again. I would not want to be in your shoes, firmly stuck between the decision makers and the users.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

scgallafent wrote:* There is a separate issue where you may have rights to see ordination information for some, but not all, members on the report, depending on your role. I don't think it has been decided how that will be handled.
Can I suggest graying it out for those one doesn't have the rights to see? Apparently, leaving it blank gives the wrong impression.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

lajackson wrote:My vote (which does not count): let the high priests group leader and the elders quorum president see the information. They usually work together on home teaching assignments anyway and need to know where best to concentrate their efforts.
I'm not sure what the final decision will be. I don't have to make that decision. :) We at least have documented that that is an issue that will need to be resolved.
russellhltn wrote:Can I suggest graying it out for those one doesn't have the rights to see? Apparently, leaving it blank gives the wrong impression.
That is a possible solution. The problem right now is not that it leaves it blank but it actually shows (incorrectly) "Unordained."

Return to “Leader and Clerk Resources”