building key accountability

Discussions about the Leader and Clerk Resources on

building key accountability

Postby wallaced » Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:31 pm

I am looking for best practices from the group for maintaining building key accountability. Ideally, the building keys are assigned to the position (not the person), and are transferred when members are called/released from a particular calling...but as we all know, books, manuals and keys are not always transferred in a timely manner, if at all. We recently found a less-active family in the ward building, just roaming around. When asked how they got in, they said "Oh, we have a key, and have had it ever since so-and-so (a relative) had a calling. Wow.
So, having inherited this mess, and in trying to get things organized, I want to try to import the Calling by Organization from LCR into a spreadsheet where I can list what calling has a building and cabinet key assigned to it. Is such an import possible? Or does anyone have another suggestion?

Community Administrator

Re: building key accountability

Postby russellhltn » Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:56 pm

While a chart would be useful, you still have the issue of getting keys back when someone is released as well as preventing unauthorized duplication.

How long ago was this relative released? How easy is this key to copy? Your stake president may need to press the FM group to rekey at least the outside doors. Since this is a cost time, it may have to wait until some budget is available. But if this is a easy key to copy and it's been in use for some time, then no doubt there's quite a few copies out there. (And don't trust the "Do not duplicate" stamp. It's far to easy to work around.)

When our stake center was redone, they switched out the external locks for a new type that has two rows of tumblers. As far as I know, we can't get duplicates in our city. We have to order them.
Have you searched the Wiki?
Try using a Google search by adding "" to the search criteria.

Return to “Leader and Clerk Resources”