Remove member from LDS.org (not from the church)

Discussions about the Leader and Clerk Resources on lds.org.
thebundok

Remove member from LDS.org (not from the church)

Post by thebundok »

I have a member who's information was entered twice, once with an incorrectly spelled last name. She appears twice in LDS.org, same contact and personal information but with two distinct MRN. However, in MLS the incorrect record doesn't exist. It's only found in LDS.org

Short of doing a "disciplinary" name removal, is there any way I can get the incorrect one removed from lds.org?

(I have also posted this in the MLS forum)
eblood66

Re: Remove member from LDS.org (not from the church)

Post by eblood66 »

First you should make absolutely sure that the additional record isn't a different person with a very similar name who was accidentally moved into your ward. Check not only the contact information but family information (on the Family sub-tab of the Household tab) to make sure it lists the same parents and children. Also look at the ordinance information. It would probably be a good idea to print both membership records and carefully compare everything.

If indeed it really is a duplicate record then you need to first get it to show up in MLS. Do a unit data refresh (which requires doing two send/receive actions with at least a 1/2 hour between them). Once you have the duplicate record you can select Membership > Records > Cancel Record to remove the duplicate.
thebundok

Post by thebundok »

Hi eblood66, thanks for the reply. Absolutely 100% certain that it's not a different person.

I did as you suggested and the record showed up in MLS. I went through the cancellation, marked it as a duplicate and specified the correct record. Now only the correct record is left in MLS however even after a send/receive the incorrect record is still showing up on lds.org.

I tried doing a unit data refresh a second time, but the record didn't return in MLS.

In every other instance when I've made changes in MLS and did a send/receive the updates were seen immediately on lds.org. Don't know if it's just different with this situation but I'll update this post in a few hours if it still hasn't worked correctly.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

I've never done a record cancel since LCR has been available so I don't know what to expect. But it's possible there is a manual review process for duplicate records. If so it may not occur until sometime Monday.

I'd wait until Monday or Tuesday and if it hasn't updated by then, I'd contact your adminstrative office and ask them to check on it.

Return to “Leader and Clerk Resources”