Mobile device scanning of recommend barcodes?

Discussions about the Leader and Clerk Resources on

Mobile device scanning of recommend barcodes?

Postby DavePeterson » Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:34 am

Has there been any consideration to enabling barcode scanning on mobile phones and tablets to scan the temple recommend barcode as means of accurate entry for activation? My eyes are not as good as they used to be. So a machine-read entry capability could be very beneficial.

Community Administrator

Re: Mobile device scanning of recommend barcodes?

Postby russellhltn » Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:41 am

As far as I know, the activation is done by the stake, and they were all given barcode scanners for their computers. And since the Stake Center is probably the usual place to pass along recommends to be activated, I'm not sure as other forms would get enough use to be worth considering.
Have you searched the Wiki?
Try using a Google search by adding "" to the search criteria.

Community Moderators

Re: Mobile device scanning of recommend barcodes?

Postby lajackson » Sun Jun 05, 2016 11:58 am

That is a challenge if you are activating recommends at home, which I always did. I doubt that the Church is developing anything. The only thing you might be able to do is search for an app that would scan the barcode onto your clipboard, then paste it into the field while you are activating the recommend if you are using your phone or a tablet.

I wonder, if you are accessing LCR on a laptop, if there is some way to connect your phone and use it as a scanner? I have not heard of such a program, but you never know. Or perhaps there is some software that would provide a way for the actual camera on the laptop to serve as the "scanner".

It never hurts to search.

Return to “Leader and Clerk Resources”