Recording Priesthood Ordinations in LCR

Discussions about the Leader and Clerk Resources on lds.org.
mwgrover
Member
Posts: 80
Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:19 pm
Location: Broken Arrow, OK, USA

Recording Priesthood Ordinations in LCR

Postby mwgrover » Wed May 18, 2016 4:55 am

So we now have the ability to record Melchizedek Priesthood ordinations in LCR, which is fantastic. We just had stake conference this past Sunday so I've recorded a few already.

By coincidence, we actually have a father who was ordained a high priest, and his son who he ordained an elder, on the same day. The father was ordained a high priest first, so he was a high priest when he ordained his son an elder. I have recorded the high priest ordination. However, when I go to record the son's elder ordination, it says his father is also an elder. If I change the date to today, it correctly shows the father as a high priest, but when I change back to the correct date, it shows father as elder. I guess because that's what he was at the beginning of the day?

Any suggestions on how I can get the system to show that father was a high priest when he ordained his son an elder? Important since it says the father's priesthood office on the certificate. Thanks.

eblood66
Senior Member
Posts: 2027
Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:17 am
Location: Cumming, GA, USA

Re: Recording Priesthood Ordinations in LCR

Postby eblood66 » Wed May 18, 2016 5:00 am

It's also important because it will affect the son's priesthood line of authority.

If nothing else you could change the son's ordination date forward by one day. That seems like a lesser inaccuracy than an incorrect line of authority.

However, I would suggest calling Local Unit Support first. They may be able to record it correctly and perhaps submit an issue for LCR. In either case you should probably submit feedback using the Feedback link on LCR.

mwgrover
Member
Posts: 80
Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:19 pm
Location: Broken Arrow, OK, USA

Re: Recording Priesthood Ordinations in LCR

Postby mwgrover » Wed May 18, 2016 5:07 am

Thanks. I have submitted feedback. Can ordinations still be recorded in MLS or is that functionality gone? If it's still there, I will go to the office and see if I can record the ordination correctly in MLS first before calling support.

lajackson
Community Moderators
Posts: 6138
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:27 pm
Location: US

Re: Recording Priesthood Ordinations in LCR

Postby lajackson » Wed May 18, 2016 5:12 am

mwgrover wrote:Can ordinations still be recorded in MLS or is that functionality gone?

When a function is activated in LCR, it usually goes away in MLS, so I suspect you will not be able to do it in MLS. But it is worth a try if the following does not work.

You might try again at LCR. It may be that the father's ordination, freshly recorded, was not yet "recognized" by the system. After the computers spoke with themselves overnight, LCR might recognize now that the father was a high priest on the date in question, and the son's ordination certificate might fill in properly.

And if not, it appears there is a bug that needs to be fixed.

eblood66
Senior Member
Posts: 2027
Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:17 am
Location: Cumming, GA, USA

Re: Recording Priesthood Ordinations in LCR

Postby eblood66 » Wed May 18, 2016 5:21 am

lajackson wrote:You might try again at LCR. It may be that the father's ordination, freshly recorded, was not yet "recognized" by the system. After the computers spoke with themselves overnight, LCR might recognize now that the father was a high priest on the date in question, and the son's ordination certificate might fill in properly.

Although it wouldn't hurt to try again I doubt that is the issue since it did recognize the fathers ordination when the son's ordination date is set to today. It seems very unlikely that it would know about the father's ordination but not the ordination date.

The error makes some sense though. The computer is only aware of the ordination date, not time. So for two ordinations on the same day it doesn't know which was first. To be completely accurate it should really recognize that it could be either way and ask the user. But that's an edge case they probably didn't think about or didn't have time to address.

On the other hand, I doubt there are many instances like this where the ordination to Elder would be done before the ordination to High Priest so it would probably be better to make the opposite assumption than appears to do right now.

rontilby
Member
Posts: 128
Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:22 pm
Location: Salt Lake City, UT, USA

Re: Recording Priesthood Ordinations in LCR

Postby rontilby » Wed May 18, 2016 7:26 am

I suggest that this edge case also be tested for cases where a member receives the Aaronic Priesthood and is ordained a Priest and then baptizes someone all on the same day. (It happened in my ward a month ago, and worked fine in MLS and the Mission Office System, but the above issue makes me wonder if it would work in LCR.)

russellhltn
Community Administrator
Posts: 20755
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:53 pm
Location: U.S.

Re: Recording Priesthood Ordinations in LCR

Postby russellhltn » Wed May 18, 2016 11:08 am

lajackson wrote:When a function is activated in LCR, it usually goes away in MLS, so I suspect you will not be able to do it in MLS.

If it involves syncing information back to MLS that hasn't been already implemented (like changing unit times) that is most certainly the case. But for things that already sync back (like a change in the membership record), and there's been no change in process, it may remain.
Have you searched the Wiki?
Try using a Google search by adding "site:tech.lds.org/wiki" to the search criteria.

kotarokun
New Member
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:37 am

Re: Recording Priesthood Ordinations in LCR

Postby kotarokun » Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:01 pm

mwgrover wrote:Thanks. I have submitted feedback. Can ordinations still be recorded in MLS or is that functionality gone? If it's still there, I will go to the office and see if I can record the ordination correctly in MLS first before calling support.


I can confirm that the functionality still exists in MLS. However, it doesn't sync up well with LCR. We have two men whose recommendations were submitted via LCR, but I recorded the ordinations in MLS. The ordinations are visible in MLS, and LDSTools, and even in LCR, but they still show up as "Pending ordinations" anyway. I'm still trying to figure out how to fix that...
David Luke

scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee
Posts: 1048
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:55 pm
Location: Riverton, Utah

Re: Recording Priesthood Ordinations in LCR

Postby scgallafent » Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:06 pm

kotarokun wrote:
mwgrover wrote:Thanks. I have submitted feedback. Can ordinations still be recorded in MLS or is that functionality gone? If it's still there, I will go to the office and see if I can record the ordination correctly in MLS first before calling support.


I can confirm that the functionality still exists in MLS. However, it doesn't sync up well with LCR. We have two men whose recommendations were submitted via LCR, but I recorded the ordinations in MLS. The ordinations are visible in MLS, and LDSTools, and even in LCR, but they still show up as "Pending ordinations" anyway. I'm still trying to figure out how to fix that...

You need to delete the pending ordinations. Click the Actions button to delete the pending ordination.

Recording the ordination in MLS breaks out of the LCR workflow. Fixing this scenario may not make sense. it would require building code into LCR to check for the ordinance having been recorded in MLS. When that function is no longer available in MLS, that LCR code becomes dead code that either needs to be maintained or removed.

kotarokun
New Member
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:37 am

Re: Recording Priesthood Ordinations in LCR

Postby kotarokun » Sat Jun 04, 2016 9:56 pm

scgallafent wrote:
kotarokun wrote:
mwgrover wrote:Thanks. I have submitted feedback. Can ordinations still be recorded in MLS or is that functionality gone? If it's still there, I will go to the office and see if I can record the ordination correctly in MLS first before calling support.


I can confirm that the functionality still exists in MLS. However, it doesn't sync up well with LCR. We have two men whose recommendations were submitted via LCR, but I recorded the ordinations in MLS. The ordinations are visible in MLS, and LDSTools, and even in LCR, but they still show up as "Pending ordinations" anyway. I'm still trying to figure out how to fix that...

You need to delete the pending ordinations. Click the Actions button to delete the pending ordination.

Recording the ordination in MLS breaks out of the LCR workflow. Fixing this scenario may not make sense. it would require building code into LCR to check for the ordinance having been recorded in MLS. When that function is no longer available in MLS, that LCR code becomes dead code that either needs to be maintained or removed.


Thank you for the response!
David Luke


Return to “Leader and Clerk Resources”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest