New Stake and moving membership records

Discussions about the Leader and Clerk Resources on lds.org.
rickk

Re: New Stake and moving membership records

Post by rickk »

Uh Oh! The engineer is getting impatient again... :-)

I still don't seem to have permission to see the LCR section of the new Stake. I figured since I was added to LCR and that propagated to CDOL at around 1:30 this afternoon, I would have permissions by 9PM if it updates every 6 hours. I will wait and see whether it is working tomorrow, but it seems like it is taking longer than I would have expected given what was stated above.
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

rickk wrote:Uh Oh! The engineer is getting impatient again... :-)

I still don't seem to have permission to see the LCR section of the new Stake. I figured since I was added to LCR and that propagated to CDOL at around 1:30 this afternoon, I would have permissions by 9PM if it updates every 6 hours. I will wait and see whether it is working tomorrow, but it seems like it is taking longer than I would have expected given what was stated above.
And to think I passed up the opportunity to make a comment earlier about how engineers tend to wait six hours and one minute.

There are several systems involved that collectively determine how long it takes for access rights to be updated. Jonesrk is correct that the process that synchronizes from CDOL to the next system in line normally runs every six hours. There are other systems involved, each of which contributes its own delay to the time it takes for rights to fully propagate.

Your best bet is to wait ... 12 to 24 hours ... so that information has time to make it through all of the systems. I expect things will be updated and working by tomorrow afternoon (24 hours after your calling was entered in LCR).
rickk

Post by rickk »

Too bad you didn't make the comment - it is most definitely true. :-)

If it updates every 6 hours, then 6 hours is the LONGEST it should take, right? Oh no fair - now you throw "other systems" into the mix. Stop changing the rules... :-)
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Which is one reason I tell people 24-48 hours. They're so much happier when it happens sooner. :D
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
rickk

Post by rickk »

I now have access to the new stake info (whew! :lol: ), and looking at the out of unit callings shows that no one that moved to the new stake seems the have been automatically released from their stake callings. Jonesrk indicated that was supposed to have happened, so any thoughts on this? Will we need to go through and have someone in each of the old stakes remove/release these folks? Or is this something this will happen, but is still working its way through the systems?

Rick
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

russellhltn wrote:Which is one reason I tell people 24-48 hours. They're so much happier when it happens sooner. :D
russellhltn is wise.
rickk wrote:... looking at the out of unit callings shows that no one that moved to the new stake seems the have been automatically released from their stake callings. Jonesrk indicated that was supposed to have happened, so any thoughts on this? Will we need to go through and have someone in each of the old stakes remove/release these folks?
I think jonesrk was planning to look into why they weren't released but I don't think he is planning to update the data. I would have someone on your end go ahead and make the changes.
rickk

Post by rickk »

scgallafent wrote:
russellhltn wrote:Which is one reason I tell people 24-48 hours. They're so much happier when it happens sooner. :D
russellhltn is wise.

The only problem with saying 24-48 hours for everything is that when most things update in minutes, the "peons" begin to disbelieve that number. Understanding that this longer time applies when permissions are involved is useful, but I think the GSC just says 24-48 hours for everything and that isn't the case.

Thanks for all of the comments and help...
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

rickk wrote:The only problem with saying 24-48 hours for everything is that when most things update in minutes, the "peons" begin to disbelieve that number. Understanding that this longer time applies when permissions are involved is useful, but I think the GSC just says 24-48 hours for everything and that isn't the case.
I don't know what the GSC says, but here on the forum, we're pretty consistent in saying that permissions take longer, but we don't apply that "24-48 hours" guideline to all updates. Certainly when RussellHltn talked about 24-48 hours in this discussion, he was referring specifically to permissions.

It is tricky, however, since there are a few things other than permissions that take a while (for example, some of the effects of ward and stake boundary and unit reorganizations). But you're right that the majority of changes are close to instantaneous, which is certainly nice.
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

rickk wrote:Uh Oh! The engineer is getting impatient again... :-)

I also didn't say 6 hours after your calling was entered. The process runs 4 times a day at specific times. That is when the process starts. I know that it takes a while once the process starts to make it all the way through, so the 24 hrs is definitely a safer time to wait.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

jonesrk wrote:
rickk wrote:Do I need to wait 12+ hours for this to change
Yes you will have to wait until this evening.
And while you are waiting, count your blessings. For this to sort out within a few days is marvelous. Last time for us (several years ago), most things were settled after about two weeks, Most things.

Return to “Leader and Clerk Resources”