Timing of Home Teaching Route Changes

Discussions about the Leader and Clerk Resources on lds.org.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Timing of Home Teaching Route Changes

Post by russellhltn »

It would be worth pointing out that something like this isn't always up to the developers. Nothing will happen until HT/VT comes up as a priority with all the other projects going on. And even then, something like this may have to be signed off by the Priesthood Department. Sometimes, it's in asking for features that we find that the Brethren have a certain way they want things to work. Witness the situation with High Councilors and Stake Auxiliary leaders not having access to LCR. Because it's their job to train the ward leaders, not manage them.

IOW, the Brethren might be focusing only on the families getting visited and discouraging the grading of the teachers. Unless you're a new EQ president, you probably know about where each companionship falls in the good/non-performing spectrum. Calculating an exact number is pointless. The important thing is to spot a trend getting worse. Something you will see if you look at a few months of teaching by household.

Maybe I'm reading too much into the tea leaves, but the fact that MLS was like this for a long time suggests something like this may be going on. If you can find justification for grading the teachers in the Handbook, that would make it more likely it happen. If it's not there, then that's something to consider.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

TomPittman7 wrote:Our stake president has made it clear that he watches the home teaching activity of his high counselors. Thanks to LCR, this is easier for him to do than before.
I'm actually surprised the stake president can see that information in LCR. Do you have actual knowledge of this or is this just an assumption?

The reason I'm surprised is that (1) in MLS the stake could only see summary information about HT/VT and (2) back in 2007 the church started a community project to bring HT/VT to the web. I was involved in setting requirements for the project. Despite arguments from some team members the word came down from the Priesthood department that stake presidents would only see summary information, not detailed reports. If stake presidents can see detailed information in LCR that represents a change from both MLS and from the viewpoint held back then.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

eblood66 wrote:
TomPittman7 wrote:Our stake president has made it clear that he watches the home teaching activity of his high counselors. Thanks to LCR, this is easier for him to do than before.
I'm actually surprised the stake president can see that information in LCR. Do you have actual knowledge of this or is this just an assumption?

The reason I'm surprised is that (1) in MLS the stake could only see summary information about HT/VT and (2) back in 2007 the church started a community project to bring HT/VT to the web. I was involved in setting requirements for the project. Despite arguments from some team members the word came down from the Priesthood department that stake presidents would only see summary information, not detailed reports. If stake presidents can see detailed information in LCR that represents a change from both MLS and from the viewpoint held back then.
I don't have access as a stake assistant clerk (I only have access to summary numbers, not names), and I'm pretty sure it's the same for the stake president (home and visiting teaching aren't listed in the access table). However, a stake president could request reports from ward clerks.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
benlarson

Post by benlarson »

sbradshaw wrote:
eblood66 wrote:

I don't have access as a stake assistant clerk (I only have access to summary numbers, not names), and I'm pretty sure it's the same for the stake president (home and visiting teaching aren't listed in the access table). However, a stake president could request reports from ward clerks.
I am currently serving as stake president, and I can verify that I don't have access to home teaching lists. I can view an individual member's home and visiting teachers. I was surprised that I don't have access to home teaching lists, at least for the high priests, considering I am the high priest quorum president. I can understand how the access policy could be considered consistent with (Handbook 2, 7.4): "Under the bishop’s direction, quorum and group leaders oversee home teaching." However, there have been several occasions where having access to a list home teaching assignments would have been very helpful, and I think I may qualify as a quorum leader. ;)
mevans

Post by mevans »

benlarson wrote: I was surprised that I don't have access to home teaching lists, at least for the high priests, considering I am the high priest quorum president. I can understand how the access policy could be considered consistent with (Handbook 2, 7.4): "Under the bishop’s direction, quorum and group leaders oversee home teaching." However, there have been several occasions where having access to a list home teaching assignments would have been very helpful, and I think I may qualify as a quorum leader. ;)
You raise a good issue for at least a stake president accessing the High Priests home teaching info due to being the quorum leader. I suggest you submit your request in LCR by using the "Do you have Feedback on this page?" link. As a stake president, you also have direct contact with your priesthood leaders at Church Headquarters and/or Area Presidency, and you might consider discussing your thoughts with them. Be sure you differentiate between "I'm a stake leader and I want access" and 'I'm president of the High Priests group for the stake and need access to information for my quorum members". Repeatedly, we've seen that it's not likely that stake leaders would be given access to ward-specific information. You might get more traction on the High Priests President approach. That's just my thoughts; we never know.
Karryn

Post by Karryn »

As a recently called Relief Society President, I have the same problem with timing changes. I want to make the changes for the coming month a week or two before the end of the current month so we are all prepared when that needs to happen. However, if I make changes in March to be effective in April, it makes a mess of the reporting for March. Have there been any updates that have solved this problem such as a changes to be made "as of" date. That would be perfect.
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

Karryn wrote:As a recently called Relief Society President, I have the same problem with timing changes. I want to make the changes for the coming month a week or two before the end of the current month so we are all prepared when that needs to happen. However, if I make changes in March to be effective in April, it makes a mess of the reporting for March. Have there been any updates that have solved this problem such as a changes to be made "as of" date. That would be perfect.
There have not been any changes like the ones you describe.

Return to “Leader and Clerk Resources”