Assign Deacon as Home Teaching Companion

Discussions about the Leader and Clerk Resources on lds.org.
comptonm

Assign Deacon as Home Teaching Companion

Postby comptonm » Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:10 pm

I need to assign a deacon as a home teaching companion to his father. Is this possible in LCR? Searched the forum for "Deacon" and got nothing.

sbradshaw

Re: Assign Deacon as Home Teaching Companion

Postby sbradshaw » Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:40 pm

Leader and Clerk Resources is pretty strict about enforcing Handbook policies. Section 8.4 of the Handbook says that home teaching is "a priesthood responsibility of teachers, priests, and Melchizedek Priesthood holders," so unfortunately Leader and Clerk Resources doesn't allow deacons to be assigned as home teachers. If your bishopric still feels that this should be done, you can keep track of the assignment outside of the system.
Samuel Bradshaw • Interested in church apps and sites, creative recordkeeping, clerk support, YSA wards and stakes, LDS music, Vineyard at BYU, and online service.

drepouille

Postby drepouille » Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:12 am

So how is it that we can assign wives as home teaching companions?
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska

aebrown
Community Administrator

Postby aebrown » Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:41 am

drepouille wrote:So how is it that we can assign wives as home teaching companions?

Because assigning a wife as a home teacher IS an approved option in the Handbook (HB2, 7.4.2, last paragraph), whereas having a deacon be a home teacher is not.

rgjanzen

Postby rgjanzen » Sun Dec 20, 2015 9:58 pm

https://www.lds.org/new-era/1974/05/the ... n?lang=eng
There is an article by Bishop Featherstone that indicates Deacons can Home Teach:

A deacon’s duties include passing the sacrament, visiting homes of members and receiving fast offerings, providing messenger service for the bishop and his counselors, and home teaching as a junior companion when there are not sufficient priests and teachers. These responsibilities are commonly known by almost every deacon.

But you're right I don't see this in the handbook, but I don't see it forbidden. Any guidance or policy clarification?
Thanks

sbradshaw

Postby sbradshaw » Sun Dec 20, 2015 11:39 pm

That statement by Bishop Featherstone was given 40 years ago. Additionally, not being an apostle, his statement can't be taken as policy. So, if I were responsible for making those decisions in my ward, I would err on the side of interpreting 8.4 of the current Handbook more strictly. Good find, though! :)
Samuel Bradshaw • Interested in church apps and sites, creative recordkeeping, clerk support, YSA wards and stakes, LDS music, Vineyard at BYU, and online service.

khland

Postby khland » Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:33 pm

It appears that if a Deacon was assigned to a High Priest as a junior companion in MLS prior to the Ward's conversion to L&CR the assignment was converted successfully in L&CR as we have several Deacons assigned to HT at Junior Companions in L&CR.

It appears that any attempts to make new assignments for Deacons as junior HT companions in L&CR are not allowed.

Return to “Leader and Clerk Resources”