New HT and VT not syncing with MLS

Discussions about the Leader and Clerk Resources on lds.org.
eblood66

Re: New HT and VT not syncing with MLS

Post by eblood66 »

ctarbet wrote:I was just called as Visiting Teaching Coordinator and, along with a new RS President, just completely re-did VT assignments in our ward. I logged on to LCR, made all of the changes (took several hours!) and need to export this information to .csv so I can create form letters (using mail merge) to send to the sisters with their new assignments. In searching how to do this I found this thread and am now concerned that there is no possible way to do this, meaning I will have to take many, many hours to input the information manually, OR find a way to repeat the updates in MLS (can I even export this information in .csv there?) Being able to export seems like a fairly common need, seems strange to not be able to do that. Any help?
No, I'm afraid there is no way to do that anymore. Neither LCR or MLS support exports anymore and there is no longer any way to enter HT/VT assignments in MLS..

Although having an export of this information is definitely a common desire, it seems that the church leadership has decided that the privacy risks are too great to allow it.

Rather than doing a lot of manual input I would suggest using the standard companionship printout, possibly with an accompanying non-mail merge letter. It may not be as slick but it should serve the same purpose.
ctarbet

Post by ctarbet »

Thanks for your reply, I'm pretty disappointed that there isn't a report (or 2) that I can run and export with this information. I can use the regular print out for the letters but not the cute magnets that go on the fridge. It's very frustrating to not have a capability to do this electronicly. We also want to create a quick reference magnet for the fridge that has the Sister's VT route (names, phone numbers, and b-days) as well as her own VT's names and phone numbers. The RS President is insistent that I create something like that and I'm trying to save myself from having to write them all out by hand (besides, no one can read my handwriting). I tried doing it myself the other day before getting my permissions for LCR by logging on to lds.org, printing the directory to PDF, converting .pdf to .rtf and then converting that to .csv and importing to excel. It was a big pain and the formatting was all off, the phone numbers were assigned to wrong person and the birthdays weren't included. Worked for 3 hours to try to clean up the information to try to use it and ended up abandoning it. I just keep thinking that there has to be an easier way! I guess I figure that if you give someone permission to see the information, it follows that you trust that they will use it in the right way. If you can't trust them to use it correctly, don't give them a calling that requires them to use the information.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

ctarbet wrote:In searching how to do this I found this thread and am now concerned that there is no possible way to do this,
Your fears are well-founded.
ctarbet wrote:OR find a way to repeat the updates in MLS
HT/VT in MLS has been turned off - at least as far as making any changes. It may still allow access to historical data. But it will not get the changes made to LCR.
ctarbet wrote:(can I even export this information in .csv there?)
File exports have been removed from MLS. You may still be able to do a cut and paste, but without the data, that's a moot point.

I'd re-think the idea of a letter. I think most take a canned report and hand it out (perhaps after cutting it up) to indicate an assignment. You could hand out a photo copied letter at the same time for information common to all VT.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

ctarbet wrote:The RS President is insistent that I create something like that and I'm trying to save myself from having to write them all out by hand (besides, no one can read my handwriting). I tried doing it myself the other day before getting my permissions for LCR by logging on to lds.org, printing the directory to PDF, converting .pdf to .rtf and then converting that to .csv and importing to excel. It was a big pain and the formatting was all off, the phone numbers were assigned to wrong person and the birthdays weren't included. Worked for 3 hours to try to clean up the information to try to use it and ended up abandoning it.
Is the Relief Society President aware that there's no export functionality anymore? Perhaps if she understood the process she would opt for something simpler. If she'd like the magnets anyway (which is a nice idea), maybe it would be worth calling an additional secretary to help out.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
babsincal

mail merges and data entry

Post by babsincal »

What a disappointment that this wonderful system doesn't allow for mail merges. As an RS President, I like to send letters, etc. to all the sisters. A mail merge would make it easier to accomplish.

Earlier, eblood66 said , "Rather than doing a lot of manual input I would suggest using the standard companionship printout, possibly with an accompanying non-mail merge letter. It may not be as slick but it should serve the same purpose." But not really. Our inactive members won't feel special with a generic letter. They will see it for what it is: a lame try at connecting with them. And don't say that we should be visiting in person. We are trying to do that, too.

It seems as if we just get enough technology to do some good, and then our hands are tied when we try to use it to touch more people in a more personal way. And why can't the RS Pres or Secretary input their own attendance numbers? Does that make sense to anyone?
eblood66

Re: mail merges and data entry

Post by eblood66 »

babsincal wrote:It seems as if we just get enough technology to do some good, and then our hands are tied when we try to use it to touch more people in a more personal way.
Personally, I'm sure that the General Authorities in charge of these decisions would love to make some of these simple features available to help leaders like yourself. I'm sure they have considered these things very carefully before deciding not to make them available. In some cases their hands may be tied by legal issues or the possibility of legal liability. In others they may feel that the negative consequences of just a few privacy breaches would cause more damage than can be justified by the benefits.
babsincal wrote:And why can't the RS Pres or Secretary input their own attendance numbers? Does that make sense to anyone?
There is only one attendance number that has to be entered and it only has to be entered once a quarter. The development work involved in giving each organization's leaders the rights to enter their own number doesn't seem to be justified by the benefit. Most of the benefit would be for the clerk (for most leaders it's not any easier to enter the number online than it is to send a quick email to the clerk with the number) and it wouldn't save him more than a few seconds each quarter.
McLaughlinES

Post by McLaughlinES »

joshbingham wrote:Everyone thanks for the info.

But seriously, we NEED the CSV file export/functionality.
Re: Exporting and CVS access.

Perhaps one reason for this void is that it is too easy to create databases that violate church policy. Privacy is becoming a major issue.

I suggest that you consult the Meetinghouse Technology Policy documents:

Meetinghouse Technology Policy
https://www.lds.org/help/support/meetin ... lang=eng#4
4.9 MLS Data and Membership Information
4.9.1 Information about members, donations, and financial transactions is confidential and must be protected from unauthorized disclosure.
4.9.2 MLS data, database tables, or schemas must not be used or shared to create or assist in the creation of third party software.
4.9.3 The use of MLS data and membership information in third party software is prohibited, whether obtained from within or outside of a meetinghouse.
4.9.4 The use of cloud-based services for storing and/or backing up MLS or any membership related data is prohibited.

Return to “Leader and Clerk Resources”