Our First Out-of-Unit Records

Discussions about the Leader and Clerk Resources on lds.org.
mevans

Our First Out-of-Unit Records

Post by mevans »

Today I created our first out-of-unit records for children of a divorced father who visit our ward every-other-week. I thought I'd share my experience:
  • I knew the father would likely want this. I first checked with our bishop to get his approval. I then spoke with the father and got his approval.
  • I went to create the out-of-unit records in our ward and ran into an obstacle: Unlike moving someone's records into your ward, to create an out-of-unit record, you must have the membership record number. This was a surprise to me. Fortunately, the ex-wife is in another ward that meets in our building. I saw the bishop of that ward in the hall and was able to get the MRN. The other bishop wasn't even aware you could create an out-of-unit record. I think this will be a bit of a challenge for some other situations, as we'd probably have to contact the other parent or ward clerk to get a MRN for a child. I wish a birthdate worked.
  • I created the out-of-unit records for the children and saw that they appear in the primary class list (with *** to denote out-of-unit) and on the class roll (with no annotation). They also appear on the birthday report. That's great!
  • Looking in LCR, the Household tab clearly lists that the children are "Out-of-Unit Members in the Household."
  • I found that the home teaching detail report does not list the out-of-unit children. It would be nice if it did, as that would help the home teachers.
  • As expected, they do not appear in LDS Tools or in https://lds.org/directory. We don't know the church's intent for these tools yet.
Overall, this looks to be a great way clerks can help the organizations better minister to those they are called to serve.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Our First Out-of-Unit Records

Post by russellhltn »

mevans wrote:I went to create the out-of-unit records in our ward and ran into an obstacle: Unlike moving someone's records into your ward, to create an out-of-unit record, you must have the membership record number. This was a surprise to me. Fortunately, the ex-wife is in another ward that meets in our building.
The MRN isn't listed on the father's record under "children" (the part I call "genealogical information")?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
mevans

Post by mevans »

No. All it gives is name, gender, and birthdate. I wish it had MRN and the ward where the records currently reside.
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

If you look at the father's membership record it does have the children's mrns. This isn't just the members profile page, but from the profile page click on the printer icon and choose to print the membership record that will have them.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I think it's in MLS as well.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
mevans

Post by mevans »

jonesrk wrote:If you look at the father's membership record it does have the children's mrns. This isn't just the members profile page, but from the profile page click on the printer icon and choose to print the membership record that will have them.
Thank you jonesrk for that helpful info. I've found the MRNs now :)

russellhltn, thanks for pointing out it's in MLS. It's been so long since I've been in that system that I didn't even think of looking there (as my calling has me focused on the online resources to help the ward members and organizations). Actually, I don't remember my password.

Return to “Leader and Clerk Resources”