LCR 3.0 Beta (Presidencies can update callings)

Discussions about the Leader and Clerk Resources on lds.org.
bballrob
Member
Posts: 104
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:20 am
Location: The Great White North

LCR 3.0 Beta (Presidencies can update callings)

Postby bballrob » Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:14 pm

(Note: This topic split from post LCR 3.0 Beta as it deals with a more specific issue for discussion - multiple topics in one thread make searching more difficult.
kisaac, community moderator)


sbradshaw wrote:Stake and ward clerks and priesthood quorum and auxiliary presidencies can now manage organization and calling information for their respective organizations.

Does this mean that auxiliary presidencies can update changes in callings? I don't like the at all. One of my fears is that someone will update something prematurely. While this shouldn't happen, especially with proper training and instruction, I just don't like the risk.

User avatar
sbradshaw
Senior Member
Posts: 2485
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:42 pm
Location: Provo, UT
Contact:

Re: LCR 3.0 Beta (Presidencies can update callings)

Postby sbradshaw » Sat Apr 25, 2015 5:57 pm

I'm curious about that as well. I'll see if I can get my roommate, who's an Elders Quorum President, to try changing some callings tonight, and I'll report back. Or maybe a developer will see this sooner and be able to clarify right off the bat. :)
Samuel Bradshaw • Interested in church apps and sites, creative recordkeeping, clerk support, YSA wards and stakes, LDS music, Vineyard at BYU, and online service.

russellhltn
Community Administrator
Posts: 20750
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:53 pm
Location: U.S.

Re: LCR 3.0 Beta (Presidencies can update callings)

Postby russellhltn » Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:06 pm

bballrob wrote:I just don't like the risk.

Understandable, but the flip side is that historically, some units have not done a good job keeping the callings updated. I'm thinking back to LUWS days. I think it's gotten better with wider member use of the Internet as well as "keys" to the calling being based on having it recorded.
Have you searched the Wiki?
Try using a Google search by adding "site:tech.lds.org/wiki" to the search criteria.

scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee
Posts: 1043
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:55 pm
Location: Riverton, Utah

Re: LCR 3.0 Beta (Presidencies can update callings)

Postby scgallafent » Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:28 pm

bballrob wrote:Does this mean that auxiliary presidencies can update changes in callings? I don't like the at all. One of my fears is that someone will update something prematurely. While this shouldn't happen, especially with proper training and instruction, I just don't like the risk.

Auxiliary presidencies can update changes in callings. Primary and Sunday School will see the greatest benefit since they will be able to update class assignments for teachers as necessary. There has been some discussion about that specific risk.

kisaac
Community Moderators
Posts: 1170
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2007 5:04 am
Location: Utah, united states

LCR 3.0 Beta (Presidencies can update callings)

Postby kisaac » Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:00 pm

scgallafent wrote:
bballrob wrote:Does this mean that auxiliary presidencies can update changes in callings? I don't like the at all. One of my fears is that someone will update something prematurely. While this shouldn't happen, especially with proper training and instruction, I just don't like the risk.

Auxiliary presidencies can update changes in callings....There has been some discussion about that specific risk.

A RS counselor can change callings, as can her President. I saw it happen in the hall of the church, on an I-pad!
When it came to entering the new individual to that now vacant calling, however, there was some discussion about questions like this:
  • "should we do it ourselves, or wait for the clerk...?"
  • "I don't know...has the bishopric actually talked to her about it yet?"
  • "yes, they told me they were doing it this morning."
  • "But if they did it this morning, wouldn't they have sustained her in Sacrament meeting today?"
  • "Maybe they forgot to sustain her, but they called her to it. If she said yes, can we add her name right now, before she is sustained, so we don't have to wait another week for her to get started?"
  • "Maybe they don't actually sustain callings like hers in sacrament meeting?"
  • "Maybe she said 'no'?"
  • "Lets wait and ask the Bishopric..."
I think much of this is a new learning curve for our auxiliary presidents and bishoprics, and if each take this course of action, the risk is minimal to none. We will need new processes in place within ward councils to avoid the "specific risks" of council members using new tools improperly.
"A soft answer turneth away wrath" works great on LDSTech forum boards!

User avatar
sbradshaw
Senior Member
Posts: 2485
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:42 pm
Location: Provo, UT
Contact:

Re: LCR 3.0 Beta (Presidencies can update callings)

Postby sbradshaw » Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:43 pm

Probably what I would say is that the clerk is responsible for all the record-keeping in the ward, under the direction of the bishop. The clerk can delegate many of the specific responsibilities to organization secretaries (and would probably be wise to do so), but when he does, he is responsible to make sure they receive proper training. I would tell the organization secretaries to talk to the clerk, the "main record-keeper" of the ward, before making any changes.

It's helpful from a training perspective to see some of these questions that were brought up!
Samuel Bradshaw • Interested in church apps and sites, creative recordkeeping, clerk support, YSA wards and stakes, LDS music, Vineyard at BYU, and online service.

kisaac
Community Moderators
Posts: 1170
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2007 5:04 am
Location: Utah, united states

Re: LCR 3.0 Beta (Presidencies can update callings)

Postby kisaac » Fri May 01, 2015 4:50 am

sbradshaw wrote:..the clerk is responsible for all the record-keeping in the ward, under the direction of the bishop....
perhaps this process of organizations asking their bishoprics these very questions will help the communication between bishopric and presidencies?

daron
New Member
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:49 pm

Re: LCR 3.0 Beta (Presidencies can update callings)

Postby daron » Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:47 pm

Is there a report that list these changes? It would be easier to keep track of the changes made if we can get a list of these changes. This would really help, especially if they can change things outside of their organizations.

jdlessley
Community Moderators
Posts: 6526
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:30 pm
Location: USA, TX

Re: LCR 3.0 Beta (Presidencies can update callings)

Postby jdlessley » Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:19 am

daron wrote:Is there a report that list these changes?

I agree that there needs to be some way to track what changes have been made and by whom. As a clerk I would become quite frustrated if organization leaders started making changes and there was no record of what existed before the changes were made -- especially if the changes are made without following the guidelines in the handbook. Currently, the way I am going to have some record is to create a Callings by Organization report each week. Something I shouldn't have to do but will be necessary with the current implementation allowing all these cooks in the kitchen.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the LDS.org Help Center page or the LDSTech wiki?

scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee
Posts: 1043
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:55 pm
Location: Riverton, Utah

Re: LCR 3.0 Beta (Presidencies can update callings)

Postby scgallafent » Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:51 am

jdlessley wrote:I agree that there needs to be some way to track what changes have been made and by whom. As a clerk I would become quite frustrated if organization leaders started making changes and there was no record of what existed before the changes were made -- especially if the changes are made without following the guidelines in the handbook. Currently, the way I am going to have some record is to create a Callings by Organization report each week. Something I shouldn't have to do but will be necessary with the current implementation allowing all these cooks in the kitchen.

Have you sent that as a feedback item?


Return to “Leader and Clerk Resources”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest