Sending/Recieving Email via LCR by Ward Clerks

Discussions about the Leader and Clerk Resources on lds.org.
holy_temple_work

Sending/Recieving Email via LCR by Ward Clerks

Postby holy_temple_work » Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:41 pm

Hello Lovely people,
I'm the ward clerk and regularly send emails to the ward. Does anyone know why some people can't receive emails even if they have emails on MLS and their privacy settings are set "visible" to stake/ward. For example, even our bishop misses out on recieving the email- and I'm not getting the email as well!! :-) Has anyone had this issue and knows a workaround?.

russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Sending/Recieving Email via LCR by Ward Clerks

Postby russellhltn » Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:18 pm

holy_temple_work wrote:Does anyone know why some people can't receive emails even if they have emails on MLS and their privacy settings are set "visible" to stake/ward.

There are two possible reasons:

"Send A Message" only works for those with "Stake Visibility". This has been a long-standing bug.

Also New Yahoo mail DMARC Policy. It's fairly technical, but depending on what email address the email claims it's "from", it may get discarded by certain domains. Yahoo is a known problem, but I think it applies to AOL as well. Other major domains may have jumped on that same ship.
Have you searched the Wiki?
Try using a Google search by adding "site:tech.lds.org/wiki" to the search criteria.

zaneclark

Postby zaneclark » Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:43 am

I have tried to work around this problem by isolating those with Yahoo or AOL addresses who are not receiving the emails and sending a separate post to them, but I have found that the problem is not consistent. Sometimes they get the emails along with the rest of the members, so this work around isn't a good solution. If anyone has a better idea on this, I would love to hear it!

russellhltn
Community Administrator

Postby russellhltn » Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:46 am

zaneclark wrote:I have tried to work around this problem by isolating those with Yahoo or AOL addresses who are not receiving the emails and sending a separate post to them, but I have found that the problem is not consistent.

The DMARC issue is about what domain name is in the "sender's" address - not who is receiving it.

Essentially, Yahoo has told the world that email from yahoo users can only come from yahoo servers. So when a church leader tries to send a message via the church servers, and the church servers use the leader's yahoo email address as the "from", the recipient email servers trash it according to yahoo's instructions.
Have you searched the Wiki?

Try using a Google search by adding "site:tech.lds.org/wiki" to the search criteria.

Return to “Leader and Clerk Resources”