Error trying to move out records

Discussions about the Leader and Clerk Resources on lds.org.
simonawright

Re: Error trying to move out records

Post by simonawright »

Post by johnjustermatiascardenas » 02 Aug 2015 08:47

When I'm moving records out of our Ward, I'm redirected to the internet. Unfortunately, after providing log in details, an error stating access denied. I'm the 1st counselor in the Bishopric thus was curious why I'm unable to move members out.
If you look at the access table you will find that the Bishop and the clerks are the only callings that can move records out of a unit, that is why you are getting the error. This decision is under the direction of the priesthood department.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

johnjustermatiascardenas wrote:I'm the 1st counselor in the Bishopric thus was curious why I'm unable to move members out.
Your calling doesn't permit the moving of records. You can see the access table here.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

johnjustermatiascardenas wrote:When I'm moving records out of our Ward, I'm redirected to the internet. Unfortunately, after providing log in details, an error stating access denied. I'm the 1st counselor in the Bishopric thus was curious why I'm unable to move members out.
If you want to see a more detailed discussion as to why counselors in the bishopric do not have permission to move records, see this topic and the topic linked to from the second post of that topic.
jbramble

Counselors denied access to request records

Post by jbramble »

I am the 2nd counselor the in our bishopric and when I try to request records for individuals in Lds.org it says access denied? I was able to request records in MLS but now I can't. What do i need to do to have access? When I use MLS it takes me to Lds.org and I have no way of requesting records.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: Counselors denied access to request records

Post by aebrown »

[Moderator note: I moved this post from General Clerk Discussions into an existing topic for this issue.]
jbramble wrote:I am the 2nd counselor the in our bishopric and when I try to request records for individuals in Lds.org it says access denied? I was able to request records in MLS but now I can't. What do i need to do to have access? When I use MLS it takes me to Lds.org and I have no way of requesting records.
As you can see by reviewing the posts in this topic, there's nothing you can do to have access for moving records. That is not a function assigned to bishopric counselors in the Handbook.
rchomskis

Post by rchomskis »

Same problem here in Lithuania. In one of our branches we have a brother whose first calling is "Branch Presidency Second Counselor" and second calling is "Branch Clerk". When he tries to move records out to another unit he gets "Access Denied" error. Maybe LCR only accepts his first calling when deciding if he is eligible to perform the action? But, as mentioned, he is also a branch clerk and this calling is recorded on his membership file and therefore he should be able to have access to perform the moving out of records...
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

rchomskis wrote:Same problem here in Lithuania. In one of our branches we have a brother whose first calling is "Branch Presidency Second Counselor" and second calling is "Branch Clerk". When he tries to move records out to another unit he received "Access Denied" error. Maybe the system only accepts his first calling when deciding if he is eligible to perform the action? But, as mentioned, he is also a branch clerk and this calling is recorded on his membership file and therefore he should be able to have access to perform the moving out of records...
I haven't seen it personally but I believe there should be a drop down box somewhere that lets you choose which calling to use when viewing LCR for people with more than one calling that provides access.
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

eblood66 wrote:
rchomskis wrote:Same problem here in Lithuania. In one of our branches we have a brother whose first calling is "Branch Presidency Second Counselor" and second calling is "Branch Clerk". When he tries to move records out to another unit he received "Access Denied" error. Maybe the system only accepts his first calling when deciding if he is eligible to perform the action? But, as mentioned, he is also a branch clerk and this calling is recorded on his membership file and therefore he should be able to have access to perform the moving out of records...
I haven't seen it personally but I believe there should be a drop down box somewhere that lets you choose which calling to use when viewing LCR for people with more than one calling that provides access.
That's correct. I have both a Ward and a Stake calling and depending on what l need to do I select the appropriate calling.
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

There is a yellow drop-down menu at the top right of the page that will allow him to select the appropriate role. When a member has more than one calling, it appears next to the ward and stake name and unit number just below the menu.
richreid402

Re: Counselors denied access to request records

Post by richreid402 »

aebrown wrote:[Moderator note: I moved this post from General Clerk Discussions into an existing topic for this issue.]
jbramble wrote:I am the 2nd counselor the in our bishopric and when I try to request records for individuals in Lds.org it says access denied? I was able to request records in MLS but now I can't. What do i need to do to have access? When I use MLS it takes me to Lds.org and I have no way of requesting records.
As you can see by reviewing the posts in this topic, there's nothing you can do to have access for moving records. That is not a function assigned to bishopric counselors in the Handbook.
What is the process to get this policy changed? I understand the concept but this leads to Bishops simply giving their passwords to their counselors and having them do the records request. The brethren keep telling Bishops to delegate responsibilities to counselors where possible. So, they give them their passwords and have their counselors handle it.

Serving in a YSA ward, this function is a large part of our record keeping. Even with the most faithful clerks, there are times when students go on breaks or are out of town and we simply can't wait for them to come back to request a record. Especially when temple recommend or other situations arise that require a record.

On a side not, is it possible for the Stake to add the counselor as an assistant membership clerk which will give them access?

Thanks

Return to “Leader and Clerk Resources”