Members Moved In report doesn't show moved out members

Discussions about the Leader and Clerk Resources on lds.org.
mevans

Members Moved In report doesn't show moved out members

Post by mevans »

While trying to find a member, I just noticed that the "Members Moved In" report does not show members who have moved in and then moved out.

For example, if a member moved in in June and moved out in September, when I run the Moved In report, he doesn't appear. If I run a Moved Out report, I can find him in September.

It seems to me that I should still see him on the moved in report because he actually did move in. I don't expect that I could click on him and see his record information, but I'm missing an important piece of true history that the report isn't showing. I'm trying to make sure someone hasn't fallen through the cracks and it was driving me crazy that I couldn't find him.

This looks like a bug in the reporting to me. Do others agree this is a bug, or am I missing something?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: Members Moved In report doesn't show moved out members

Post by aebrown »

mevans wrote:This looks like a bug in the reporting to me. Do others agree this is a bug, or am I missing something?
I don't see this as a bug. The Moved In report is (appropriately, in my opinion) looking only at your current members and telling you when they moved in. If the purpose is to tell you about current members, then it would be incorrect to show any members who are not current members.

As a practical matter, any report will look at a particular data set as it generates its output. The most straightforward way to implement this report is to look at the membership records assigned to the ward. Sure, it could be possible to look at an additional data set (the data about move outs), but to my thinking that's an unusual case that most people wouldn't be interested in, so it shouldn't be the default way the report works.
mevans

Post by mevans »

Thanks, aebrown, for your perspective. My interpretation was that of an audit report, in which I would expect to see everyone moved in. Yours is of a ministering report, in which you would only expect to see the people who are currently there. I would agree that a ministering report is probably a more common use of this information. Maybe we can rename it "Members Moved In Who Still Live Here" ;)

From an implementation perspective, I guess it depends on how the data is organized. I was assuming there might be a history table of membership record moves that shows something like the record number, unit number, and move-in date. The report query would then be pretty simple, just filtering on a unit number and date; it would actually be more effort to figure out if someone wasn't still in the unit (but maybe it runs off a denormalized view, making it fairly simple). You're starting from the pool of people already in the unit and filtering that way. I guess there are several ways to approach the problem. Of course, I have no idea how the data is organized in reality. I just ramble on my technical thoughts because I know you're a developer and it's fun to discuss.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

mevans wrote:I was assuming there might be a history table of membership record moves that shows something like the record number, unit number, and move-in date.
Maybe at the CHQ level. For a long time, the only table was the one for current ward members. Sometime in the past few years another table was added so we could get a list of the move-outs. But I'm not sure as it's organized as a "history" or transaction table as much as a list of move-outs. I don't know if it includes a move-in date.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Leader and Clerk Resources”