New Yahoo mail DMARC Policy

Discussions about the Leader and Clerk Resources on lds.org.
allencp

New Yahoo mail DMARC Policy

Post by allencp »

Have there been any reported problems with leaders, who have a yahoo.com email address, and their sending messages to members through LDS.org? I ask because a member of our stake presidency, who has a Yahoo email address, tried sending an email to the stake and was told that many people weren't receiving it. I wondered if this was a result of the recent Yahoo DMARC policy change. Is there any potential way to mitigate this problem?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: New Yahoo mail DMARC Policy

Post by aebrown »

The policy referred to is Yahoo's An Update on our DMARC Policy to Protect Our Users.

I would think that it's quite likely that an email sent from a Yahoo account by the Send a Message feature on Leader/Clerk Resources on LDS.org would create a problem under this new policy. Messages sent this way come from a server such as mail7.ldschurch.org, but purport to be from "Brother John Doe" (fill in the name of the ward/stake leader sending the message) at his email address.
allencp

Post by allencp »

I figured that would be the case. However, does Church IT have a mitigation plan as potentially more email providers could do the same?
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

The solution for this blocking issue is to change the unsigned (by e-mail service provider) message from "from [e-mail account holder]" to "on behalf of [e-mail account holder]". This way e-mail service providers such as Yahoo will not block the message. This solution was stated in Yahoo's mail DMARC Policy statement.

I don't know how much programming is required to accomplish this change. But until the change is made, group LDS.org mail users will have to use the work-around of copying and pasting the e-mail list into their e-mail client to avoid the message from being block by those e-mail providers such as Yahoo who have institued the more restrictive DMARC policy.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
jsward0120

Clerk Communications to Ward (DMARC rejections)

Post by jsward0120 »

I just had my clerk communication rejected by yahoo, hotmail, and gmail stating that they had changed their policies to prevent DMARC mail. Any ideas how to fix this so that I can notify the Ward of important communications? Or are there going to be any fixes coming to have the mail sent from a different source so it won't be rejected?

Thanks for any help you can provide.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Clerk Communications to Ward (DMARC rejections)

Post by russellhltn »

jsward0120 wrote:I just had my clerk communication rejected by yahoo, hotmail, and gmail stating that they had changed their policies to prevent DMARC mail.
Your message was merged into an existing topic. You may want to review the prior posts. At this point we have not heard anything.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
dswiss

Post by dswiss »

I too have received rejection notices from my Yahoo account saying that, "The message was rejected due to DMARC." I hope a solution is implemented soon. The send a message tool is very handy.
clwlds

Yahoo failures with bulk e-mail messaging

Post by clwlds »

Using the Clerk - Send A Message option (https://www.lds.org/messaging/?lang=eng), Yahoo will not accept the bulk messages because it assumes the message came from a false sender:

["554 5.7.9: Message not accepted for policy reasons"]

Apparently, when LDS sends the message, it inserts my yahoo address in the from box while it comes from the LDS server. Is there a way to send a message a bulk message to members without receiving the error; optimally from the LDS server?

Thanks.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: Yahoo failures with bulk e-mail messaging

Post by aebrown »

clwlds wrote:Apparently, when LDS sends the message, it inserts my yahoo address in the from box while it comes from the LDS server. Is there a way to send a message a bulk message to members without receiving the error; optimally from the LDS server?
Your message has been merged into the existing discussion for this issue. As was noted earlier, we haven't heard any update on this issue.

Return to “Leader and Clerk Resources”