Access denied - How long does it take to sync permissions?

Discussions about the Leader and Clerk Resources on lds.org.
nathangg

Re: Access denied - How long does it take to sync permission

Post by nathangg »

:-) I think the decision to wait was more out of nervousness from doing something "too early" instead of requiring that everyone be set apart before their calling is entered in to MLS.

Since the setting apart can't take place (travel schedules) for another week I'm thinking we may just update it tonight when we're at the Stake Center.

THANK YOU!
nathangg

Post by nathangg »

aebrown wrote: It's your call (actually ultimately the stake president's), but in our stake we follow the practice implied by the MLS screens for callings: when a person has been sustained, we put them in MLS and they will appear in the directory. Whenever possible the stake presidency sets someone apart in their new calling right away, but sometimes that is not possible. In those cases, we enter someone in MLS and check the "Set apart" flag later when that is done. That way the person will have the permissions as soon as possible, which corresponds to the stake president's expectation that they will begin serving right away.
So, I did some more research into this and I'm told that at the Stake level, MLS won't let you update the Stake Clerk unless he has been set apart. So that is why we haven't updated our Stake Clerk yet. I don't have access to update callings in MLS and thus I'm not able to check... but it seems that MLS treats a Stake Clerk calling a little differently?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

nathangg wrote:So, I did some more research into this and I'm told that at the Stake level, MLS won't let you update the Stake Clerk unless he has been set apart. So that is why we haven't updated our Stake Clerk yet. I don't have access to update callings in MLS and thus I'm not able to check... but it seems that MLS treats a Stake Clerk calling a little differently?
That's correct. I do these kinds of callings so rarely that I forgot that important detail. I apologize for misleading you.

For "Tier 1" callings, the Leader and Unit Change Request process does require you to fill in the date and the name of the person who did the setting apart. So you're right that the stake clerk (and bishops and a few other stake callings) can't be submitted until all those details are known.
nathangg

Post by nathangg »

aebrown wrote: That's correct. I do these kinds of callings so rarely that I forgot that important detail. I apologize for misleading you.

For "Tier 1" callings, the Leader and Unit Change Request process does require you to fill in the date and the name of the person who did the setting apart. So you're right that the stake clerk (and bishops and a few other stake callings) can't be submitted until all those details are known.
You're great! I appreciate all the help with this (especially since I'm trying to come back up to speed on all the ins and outs of the various systems :) )

Return to “Leader and Clerk Resources”