"Send A Message" only works for those with "Stake Visibility"

Discussions about the Leader and Clerk Resources on lds.org.
genman

"Send A Message" only works for those with "Stake Visibility"

Post by genman »

When the Ward Executive Secretary uses the "Send A Message" feature, there are members showing up in the "Opted out" list who do have email addresses and who have the visibility settings set to "Ward Visibility" or " Private - Leadership Only". It appears that only "Stake Visibility" allows them to receive that blind-copy email via Send A Message. Is that a bug or a feature? It seems like a bug. Ward leadership should be able to send emails to members with email visibility set to "Ward Visibility" or "Leadership Only".

Does anyone else see this problem? When will it be fixed?
genman

Post by genman »

I also submitted this problem via the Submit Feedback link.
mtwerner

Post by mtwerner »

I have seen the same problem and agree that the behavior doesn't make sense.
mohhess

Same

Post by mohhess »

I just tried to send an email as the Ward Executive Secretary and this issue has not been addressed. Anyone with the "Ward Visibility" setting were treated as "private" by the send a message system.
lisaan
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by lisaan »

Thanks for catching this. We've investigated the issue and have put it on the list for a future release of Directory. Thank you.
QA Engineer
lisaan
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by lisaan »

In going over the code for this request, we feel like this is working properly. The ward executive secretary, considered a leadership position, has rights to see members marked as private and also has rights to change their information and their photos. It makes sense to us that the ward executive secretary would also have the rights to send these members an email. (Reference JIRA 1405). Are you seeing something different than this? Would like this feature to work differently? Please let us know. Thanks.
QA Engineer
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

So, is the behavior as described in post #1 "as expected"? They seem to be reporting that they can not send to anyone whose settings are not set to "stake visibility" - even if they are in the same ward and the sender holds a leadership position.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
genman

Post by genman »

LisaAn wrote:We feel like this is working properly... It makes sense to us that the ward executive secretary would also have the rights to send these members an email. (Reference JIRA 1405). Are you seeing something different than this?

Yes, we are seeing something different than that. I agree that we SHOULD be able to use the "Send A Message" feature to send an email to those who have their privacy settings set as leadership-limited or ward-visibility. But it is not working that way. Those with a privacy setting OTHER than stake-visibility are not receiving "Send a Message" emails.

Try it and see.

Note: This problem report is specific to the "Send A Message" feature of Leadership/Clerk Resources, and not the email feature of the Directory.
chris.m.cook

Post by chris.m.cook »

Does anyone know if this has been fixed or a fix is in the works? I don't see any other threads about this and this one hasn't been posted to in ~2 months.
rmblood

Re: "Send A Message" only works for those with "Stake Visibi

Post by rmblood »

Has this issue ever been resolved? I'm a bishop, and I find that any message I attempt to send to all ward members excludes a bunch of people who have not set their privacy settings to Stake. Anyone with a different privacy setting does not receive the email. It would be nice for us to be able to message everyone in the ward with an email on their membership. Thank you.

Bishop Russ Blood
Rose Creek Crossing Ward

Return to “Leader and Clerk Resources”