Access for financial clerks to Clerk Resources

Discussions about the Leader and Clerk Resources on lds.org.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Access for financial clerks to Clerk Resources

Post by jdlessley »

jkitterman wrote:We added new shortcut URLs to the Clerk Resources application. clerk.lds.org or lds.org/clerk will get you to the application. This way, you won't need to remember the full URL (which could change), or rely on the "Tools" menu and personal bookmarks.

Unfortunately this provides no benefit to assistant clerks - finance since there is no access to Leader and Clerk Resources.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
jkitterman
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jkitterman »

jdlessley wrote:Unfortunately this provides no benefit to assistant clerks - finance since there is no access to Leader and Clerk Resources.
You are correct. The URL shortcut doesn't add any functionality to the application itself. Nor does it add access for any additional roles. The Clerk Resources application doesn't currently provide finance-related tools.
Developer, Core Systems and Services
http://clerk.lds.org
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

As discussed in other threads the exclusion of assistant clerks who just happen to have finance responsibilities as one of other listed responsibilities is frustrating. I am well aware of a work-around to use the assistant clerk calling in MLS to gain access. This is not an option when the bishop does not want to use a work-around that affects the online directory with extraneous positions.
:mad::confused:
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

Although I can understand the bishop's reluctance to have multiple callings listed for a clerk, it seems to me he has three choices at this point:
  • Live with the financial clerk having no access to Leader and Clerk Resources
  • List the financial clerk as simply an assistant clerk (that doesn't let the ward know who is helping them with ward financial issues)
  • List the financial clerk with two callings.
Of those options, it seems like the last one has very minor negative effects. But it is the bishop's call.

[Moderator note: I moved this discussion from its original thread (New shortcut URLs to the Clerk Resources app - clerk.lds.org and lds.org/clerk) because the discussion of access rights has nothing to do with the URLs used to access Leader and Clerk Resources.]
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

aebrown wrote:Although I can understand the bishop's reluctance to have multiple callings listed for a clerk, it seems to me he has three choices at this point:
Unfortunately he is not the one who has to live with this.
aebrown wrote:
  • List the financial clerk as simply an assistant clerk (that doesn't let the ward know who is helping them with ward financial issues)
That is correct. The priority to the bishop is that the members know who to go to for finance issues.

I also wonder if assistant ward clerks are going to have access to the financial applications when they become available. If they will, then I see no reason to even have the positions assistant ward clerk - finance and assistant ward clerk - membership. These positions unnecessarily limit online application access.

In the thread "reduce need for custom callings" the discussion moved into suggesting adding an assignment field to callings in MLS. This approach could possibly resolve the display of callings and assignments within callings to members viewing the directory while granting access to needed online applications.
aebrown wrote:
  • List the financial clerk with two callings.
This is exactly what he does not want to see.
JD Lessley
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jdlessley wrote:I also wonder if assistant ward clerks are going to have access to the financial applications when they become available. If they will, then I see no reason to even have the positions assistant ward clerk - finance and assistant ward clerk - membership. These positions unnecessarily limit online application access.

I wouldn't bet on it. Why would you give all the membership clerks in the church access to financial stuff (and vice versa)? Isn't that just asking for trouble?

OTOH, perhaps assignable rights that I proposed in the Disciplinary Reports thread could be used. The bishop would be able to assign additional rights beyond what's normally assigned as part of the calling to fit how he wants to run his ward.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

jdlessley wrote:
aebrown wrote:Although I can understand the bishop's reluctance to have multiple callings listed for a clerk, it seems to me he has three choices at this point:
Unfortunately he is not the one who has to live with this.
Well, we can all dream of what we'd like it to be, but I was simply stating the current options. I notice you didn't argue with my statement that those are the options. Either the financial clerk wants to use the Leader and Clerk Resources for reasons that don't help the work of the ward (I really doubt that in this case), or he would be able to accomplish more good service by having access. Thus the bishop does have to live with the negative consequences of his decision not to choose other options that would give the financial clerk access.

It's a separate discussion for requests to change the functionality, and there have been some good suggestions in that realm.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.

Return to “Leader and Clerk Resources”