Request Records functionality now available in Clerk Resources

Discussions about the Leader and Clerk Resources on lds.org.
PartridgeRM
Community Moderators

Post by PartridgeRM »

zaneclark wrote:I hope this is something that is being discussed by the people who would have the authority to change this.
May I ask you your opinion about how you envision it working?
zaneclark

Post by zaneclark »

PartridgeRM wrote:May I ask you your opinion about how you envision it working?

I would just like to be able to have the full functions available to both my positions as assistant clerk in ward and stake and not let my stake function cancel out some ward functions..
PartridgeRM
Community Moderators

Post by PartridgeRM »

zaneclark wrote:I would just like to be able to have the full functions available to both my positions as assistant clerk in ward and stake and not let my stake function cancel out some ward functions..

Thank you. In this case we will be responding to this need. The problem is a defect in our system now which we are planning to resolve soon.
zaneclark

Post by zaneclark »

PartridgeRM wrote:Thank you. In this case we will be responding to this need. The problem is a defect in our system now which we are planning to resolve soon.

Thank you! I always hoped there was someone reading these posts that could actually make a difference!
williamjackson

Post by williamjackson »

The Request Records functionality on Clerk Tools is, in my opinion, much better than the existing functionality in MLS. I will probably only use the Clerk Tools to request records, even when I am in the clerks' office, from now on. Here are some benefits, if you have not tried it yet:

* Can request records with name and date of birth OR membership record number. In MLS date of birth is always required. In Clerk Tools, name and membership record number are sufficient.

* Instant feedback BEFORE requesting records. When you enter a name and date of birth, the tool performs a lookup before requesting records. You are presented with the full names of all members in the household that matched the information you requested. You can then check a box for each record you want to request. Perhaps more importantly, you can see right away if you entered incorrect information and choose to cancel the request.

* Contact information persists. When you request records using this tool, individual and household contact information (phone number and email address) come along for the ride. All I needed to do was compare the information to what the member gave me to make sure it had not changed. I did not have to re-enter anything. This will cut down on data entry errors.

I found that after using the Clerk Tools to request records, it took at least 15 minutes before a send/receive in MLS would bring down the new records.

The only thing I can think of right now that would improve this process is to build in some sort of address verification step. Calling out to usps.com (for the United States) or a similar service in other countries to make sure the entered address is correct and in a standard format would be wonderful.
zaneclark

Post by zaneclark »

This reply relates to my earlier post regarding the conflict when you have both a ward and stake clerk calling. I find I cannot use the Request Records function on Clerk Tools because of this problem. If my ward was the first alphabetically, I could do this, but unfortunately it is not. I can get into all the other features for my ward with a little manipulation, be not the Record Request. I am hoping that the promised fix will occur soon.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

I can think of a scenario where it would be advantageous for the stake to move records, and that is a boundary alignment. It is a large, complex maneuver at times to coordinate with multiple wards, with less consistent results than if the stake could implement it. I think the current tool in ward level MLS is actually really good, but can be implemented inconsistently, causing a lot of follow up work.
zaneclark

Post by zaneclark »

Originally Posted by zaneclark
I would just like to be able to have the full functions available to both my positions as assistant clerk in ward and stake and not let my stake function cancel out some ward functions..
PartridgeRM wrote:Thank you. In this case we will be responding to this need. The problem is a defect in our system now which we are planning to resolve soon.
zaneclark

Post by zaneclark »

zaneclark wrote:Originally Posted by zaneclark

Originally Posted by PartridgeRM
Thank you. In this case we will be responding to this need. The problem is a defect in our system now which we are planning to resolve soon.
zaneclark

Post by zaneclark »

This is a reply to my query on your stake clerk calling canceling the functions in your ward clerk calling. This was on May 24th. I hope they resolve it soon. I am out of town for the summer without access to MLS and this would be very handy.

Return to “Leader and Clerk Resources”