Home Teaching List on LDS.org

Discussions about the Leader and Clerk Resources on lds.org.
genman

Post by genman »

I understand that there are schedule slips due to issues that come up during testing. No problem. I do understand that it makes for a more stable product if they are careful in laying the foundation. I think people understand that. And I don't think it makes you look foolish that is doesn't happen immediately. The comment topics in that blog comment thread was almost exclusively on HT/VT. A later comment from that bSign indicates that releases of this HT/VT functionality might be available as early as the end of this year, which all MLS functionality supported by a target date of Jan 2014 (which of course can change):
&quot wrote:
&quot wrote:Any idea on when this will be accessible?
The goal is to have all MLS membership and related functionality moved over to LDS.org by January 2014. This year we are establishing some foundational work; but toward the end of this year and into the next we will regularly release new content.
By the way, they already have part of the integration of the LDS.org and local MLS databases already, as can be seen under Clerk Resources in the reports available under the Organizations tab at LDS.org. And you can enter some membership data changes (e.g. address/phone/email) under the Membership tab > Member List. So they aren't necessarily starting from scratch on integrating LDS.org with MLS databases. Looking forward to it, but without unrealistic expectations of a perfectly forecast release date.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

genman wrote:By the way, they already have part of the integration of the LDS.org and local MLS databases already, as can be seen under Clerk Resources in the reports available under the Organizations tab at LDS.org. And you can enter some membership data changes (e.g. address/phone/email) under the Membership tab > Member List. So they aren't necessarily starting from scratch on integrating LDS.org with MLS databases. Looking forward to it, but without unrealistic expectations of a perfectly forecast release date.
MLS has been in sync with LDS.org for a decade, if you're talking about membership records -- the tools on LDS.org use membership information obtained from web services that get data from the central membership database. And in the last few years, information on callings has been synchronized with CDOL, a database that was already in place but which has been enhanced to store more local calling information.

But as far as I know, there's no suitable existing CHQ database suitable for holding HT/VT data. So it's a bigger challenge than those other two cases where an existing database could be used. However, I certainly agree that it's clear that the Church is making progress towards moving more and more of this information to places where it can be accessed and even modified online, which is a good thing.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

genman wrote:By the way, they already have part of the integration of the LDS.org and local MLS databases already, as can be seen under Clerk Resources in the reports available under the Organizations tab at LDS.org.
All the data currently available on LDS.org/Clerk Resources is data that resides in church databases/servers.
genman wrote:And you can enter some membership data changes (e.g. address/phone/email) under the Membership tab > Member List. So they aren't necessarily starting from scratch on integrating LDS.org with MLS databases.
All membership data, including contact information, is maintained in the CMIS (Church Membership Information System) database. Calling and unit information for LDS.org applications is provided by CDOL (Church Directory of Organizations and Leaders). Any changes that are made online that back-flow to MLS are synchronizations between the Church databases and MLS.

There has been no indication in any capabilities that have been rolled out in Leader and Clerk Resources that there is any framework for accessing or pushing data that currently resides only on local MLS to LDS.org. That does not mean the capability is not being pursued.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
genman

Post by genman »

jdlessley wrote:All the data currently available on LDS.org/Clerk Resources is data that resides in church databases/servers.... Any changes that are made online that back-flow to MLS are synchronizations between the Church databases and MLS... There has been no indication...that there is any framework for accessing or pushing data that currently resides only on local MLS to LDS.org. That does not mean the capability is not being pursued.
Yes, there will have to be a new Church database, such as a CHVT (Church Home and Visiting Teaching) database that is updateable either via MLS or via online, like the other two databases (CMIS and CDOL) are. A CHVT would be another instance of that pattern, with maybe just a slightly more complex relational database structure than the other two.

I'm glad that they are vigorously pursuing it and hope that they continue to.

From what I hear, there is A LOT of interest in it. Confining HT/VT organization/reporting to just the clerk's office computer is very inconvenient. When this is available, it will make things much more efficient for several ward organizations and will remove some bottlenecks on usage of the clerk's computer.
FAguirre

Post by FAguirre »

genman wrote: From what I hear, there is A LOT of interest in it. Confining HT/VT organization/reporting to just the clerk's office computer is very inconvenient. When this is available, it will make things much more efficient for several ward organizations and will remove some bottlenecks on usage of the clerk's computer.

Sure would make our PEC meetings quieter! No more shuffling papers to determine who home teaches whom, not to mention the decreased use of paper (read: church funds). In all seriousness, I think that having access to home and visiting teaching routes, companionships, and statistics, is the single most needed leadership tool on LDS.ORG. Having quick and easy access to that information would allow us to concentrate on more important things, namely the needs of our ward members, allowing us to minister, rather than administer.
genman

Post by genman »

faguirre wrote:I think that having access to home and visiting teaching routes, companionships, and statistics, is the single most needed leadership tool on LDS.ORG
I agree. From my perspective, implementing HT/VT view/edit at lds.org is hopefully one of the top priorities at this point.
knealewj

Re: Home Teaching List on LDS.org

Post by knealewj »

I have been "Googling for hours" to find out if the Home/Visiting Teaching tool is actually coming.

As usual, there are lots of good wishes, and acknowledgement that it is needed. But I see nothing concrete on whether this is progressing anywhere (most posts are from 2012, informing us it is in development and coming soon).

Our stake is looking into creating our own, but we don't want to sink our resources into it if there is one on its way. Can anyone give an update on what is happening?
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

knealewj wrote:Our stake is looking into creating our own, but we don't want to sink our resources into it if there is one on its way. Can anyone give an update on what is happening?
Don't create your own. There are policy issues with storing member data on non-Church servers. The appropriate people are aware of the need. Beyond that, there's not much else I can give you right now.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

knealewj wrote:(most posts are from 2012, informing us it is in development and coming soon)
It's in development. It's coming soon. :)

I know that's not particularly helpful, but rarely are we informed of the schedule for features until they are ready for beta.
knealewj wrote:Our stake is looking into creating our own, but we don't want to sink our resources into it if there is one on its way.
Even though the lack of a concrete schedule could tempt you to create your own, I'd recommend that you reconsider that. It's difficult to do that in a way that respects privacy laws and Church policy regarding websites, and you would have no way to hook into the actual reporting mechanisms used by MLS and quarterly reporting.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

It's up to the Brethren. I suggest you have the stake president push the issue with the Area Authority.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Leader and Clerk Resources”