lds.org/leader Who has access and how can access be granted?

Discussions about the Leader and Clerk Resources on lds.org.
genman

Re: lds.org/leader Who has access and how can access be gran

Post by genman »

jdlessley wrote:High council members will begin to show up having callings in the Directory for which they have not been called.
I'm not suggesting anyone make changes in MLS that do not reflect actual callings by the one holding priesthood keys. I'm just suggesting that some Bishops and Stake Presidents may selectively choose to have a few more called Assistant Clerks than they have in the past, in order to work around the LDS.org access limitations. The calling of "Assistant Clerk" is kind of tailorable anyway, with the tasking being up to the Priesthood leader who issued the call.
Aeroengineer1

Post by Aeroengineer1 »

I have followed the opposite path of the original poster as I was on the HC and I am now an Asst Stake Clerk over Tech.

I served under two different stake presidents. Both stake presidents made requests to the church technology department to give those on the HC access to the unit statistics and other key information that I now have access to by virtue of being a clerk.

It has been stated that because the HC represent the stake president that there is no specific need for this information, but just recently our stake president came back from training, and he was told that if home teaching was failing in a specific ward/branch that the member of the HC assigned to that ward bore some of that responsibility. If I am to have responsibility for it, then I need good access to data to measure progress.

Also as the representative if the stake president, we were also the messengers of the bishops/branch presidents back to the stake president. We were there to facilitate the communication and help goals that had been established between the bishop and the stake president. We were then asked to monitor the progress of these goals. How can you monitor progress when you have limited access to the information?

I would go further than the original request in that this information is not only valuable to those that are on the HC, but to all other Aux Leaders in the ward. I do not advocate giving access to all data, but an Elders' Quorum President/High Priest Group Leader/RS President would gain by understanding how many members have a current recommend, and how many are endowed but without a recommend. They would also benefit from seeing the trendlines in specific meeting attendance, HT/VT percentages, and overall sacrament attendance. I was able to look back at the time that I served as EQ President and see some trends that were wonderful as well as some that had we been aware of we may have dedicated a bit more focus on.

In the end, the question really is not if we should give this information to these callings as it is available through the clerks, though limited and usually not timely, but if there should be ready access to this type of data through their online tools?

Adam
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

aeroengineer1 wrote:We were then asked to monitor the progress of these goals. How can you monitor progress when you have limited access to the information?
By asking for the information from whose who do have access to it. And it's not like the information in the on-line tools automatically populated. It's flowing though the very people that are being supervised.

At any rate, you're preaching to the wrong group. We have no ability to change these things. Ask your stake president to take up your cause with the area rep. This kind of change will not come from LDSTech, but from the Priesthood leaders.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
schaefman00

Post by schaefman00 »

aeroengineer1 wrote: I would go further than the original request in that this information is not only valuable to those that are on the HC, but to all other Aux Leaders in the ward.
I agree with you Adam, I think access to some of the reporting features would be very useful to other members of the ward council. One not mentioned but I feel also very important is the ward mission leader with respects to the New Member Report and Members Moved-In for example.

I realize per the church employees responding to this request that they don't have power to change this policy, but I wanted my voice to be heard. I will also mention this to my Stake President.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

schaefman00 wrote:One not mentioned but I feel also very important is the ward mission leader with respects to the New Member Report and Members Moved-In for example.
That would indeed be helpful. However, while we're waiting and hoping for access to be extended to leaders such as the ward mission leader, clerks should respond to requests for data and even better should be proactive in supplying needed information on a regular basis.
schaefman00 wrote:I realize per the church employees responding to this request that they don't have power to change this policy, but I wanted my voice to be heard.
People responding to this discussion (at least here on this forum) are just community members -- other clerks or leaders -- and not Church employees. There's some remote chance that a Church employee might see this discussion, but I wouldn't count on it. So if you want your "voice to be heard," you should send feedback using the Submit Feedback link at the bottom of the LDS.org home page.
schaefman00 wrote:I will also mention this to my Stake President.
That's the other route (and most likely a more effective one) to get the suggestion heard; your stake president can pass this on to the area seventy.
Gary_Miller

Post by Gary_Miller »

schaefman00 wrote:
aeroengineer1 wrote: I would go further than the original request in that this information is not only valuable to those that are on the HC, but to all other Aux Leaders in the ward.
I agree with you Adam, I think access to some of the reporting features would be very useful to other members of the ward council. One not mentioned but I feel also very important is the ward mission leader with respects to the New Member Report and Members Moved-In for example.
Why all of the sudden do HC members and others feel a need to have direct access to these reports just because they are on line? When most stake and ward leaders have never had direct access or even wanted direct access through MLS.

All these reports asked for though out this thread are readily available for the asking through the Stake and Ward Clerks. This is their stewardship which will not change just because everything is moved to on line. Please don't come on here and make it sound as though one does not have access to the reports they need for their callings, its simply not true.
Last edited by Gary_Miller on Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
kevindurr

Post by kevindurr »

It might be a good recommendation to setup an email type system so that the ward clerks can have a checklist of reports to print to PDF and send via email to the stake so that the stake can then push out those reports to the high council. Online tools such as Dropbox and other cloud storage sites will allow for secure online storage that multiple users can access updated reports on a regular basis. I think there would even be a way to have the ward clerks email to a particular shared folder. So really after the setup the maintenance is just making sure it is done.

I'm not well versed in Church policy with the setup described above so it would require a check.

Return to “Leader and Clerk Resources”