"Send a Message" -- Message footer garbled

Discussions about the Leader and Clerk Resources on lds.org.
geowizrd4zion

Post by geowizrd4zion »

jdcr256 wrote:Can anyone give a firm date as to when this started happening? I've been trying to find out if anything changed that might have caused this, but the messaging application has been virtually untouched for months and months.

I'll continue looking for a cause for this problem.

...pretty sure the key phrase is "virtually" untouched. since new email messaging features appeared in the new directory 1.7 rollout on dec 20 (ie, "email all [organization]"), i'd guess the new code implementing those features broke some of the previously stable code.

i sent a message successfully to the entire ward without garbled headers/footers on dec 15.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

jdcr256 wrote:Can anyone give a firm date as to when this started happening? I've been trying to find out if anything changed that might have caused this, but the messaging application has been virtually untouched for months and months.

Probably of no help, but on December 1, 2011 at 3:23 pm Mountain Time I received a footer only, no message or anything else at all, but a footer only from "Local Unit Web Team <msr-feedback@ldschurch.org>".

I do not know why it came. I believe it came from the Classic site, which would not necessarily help the new site issue at hand. Nevertheless, you may have been doing something that day with the messaging system.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

lajackson wrote:Probably of no help, but on December 1, 2011 at 3:23 pm Mountain Time I received a footer only, no message or anything else at all, but a footer only from "Local Unit Web Team <msr-feedback@ldschurch.org>".

On the same date, I also received a message. But it did contain a message. It's the type one might get reminding you that you belong to a email list and how to change the settings.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

I received a good one on Dec 11th and a bad one on Dec 18th.
jdcr256
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jdcr256 »

geowizrd wrote:...pretty sure the key phrase is "virtually" untouched. since new email messaging features appeared in the new directory 1.7 rollout on dec 20 (ie, "email all [organization]"), i'd guess the new code implementing those features broke some of the previously stable code.

For clarity's sake, there is no relation between the messaging app (referenced in this thread) and the directory app. They run on separate servers and don't share any common code. They don't talk to each other in any way. Directory does not support any messaging services, it just provides email addresses. Emails must be sent from the users mail client.
jdcr256
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jdcr256 »

JonesRK wrote:I received a good one on Dec 11th and a bad one on Dec 18th.

Thanks Ryan, that provides a pretty tight window to look at.
dpenrod75

Post by dpenrod75 »

My clerk sent broadcast message last night and it was garbled as of 10:40PM EST. Thank you for your help.

[font=&quot][/font]
zaneclark

Garbled messages

Post by zaneclark »

Fortunately, at least in my case, the problem doesn't affect the body of the message..it just doesn't look too good. Hope they find the problem quickly as the new year is prompting a lot of messages...
sbstout

Post by sbstout »

To help nail down the window a little further, I sent a couple emails to our ward, within a couple days of each other:

"Good" Header: Fri, 16 Dec 2011 06:35:37 -0700
"Bad" Header: Sun, 18 Dec 2011 20:40:26 -0700

I can provide the emails or further information from the email headers, if needed.

Cheers,
Steven
zaneclark

Post by zaneclark »

Just sent out a message...... Still has the added garbage... It seemed like this was something that could be fixed easily, but I guess not....

Return to “Leader and Clerk Resources”