Another question on "Send Message"

Discussions about the Leader and Clerk Resources on lds.org.
Brwiyoung

Re: Another question on "Send Message"

Post by Brwiyoung »

I'm glad to know the message went through to the spouse with "Stake visibility" setting when you tried it. And yes, it's hard to understand how the contrary result could happen. But it did happen in several specific cases when I sent a message to "All members."

I just tested messaging again, once again sending to "All members." Two of the couples have changed their setting since I first posted, so in those cases the names of both husband and wife are now listed under "Bcc." But there's one remaining couple where the husband's e-mail address is listed both for the household and himself individually (in both cases with "Ward visibility") and where his wife's different e-mail address is listed with the "Private" setting. BOTH their names are listed among those who have "opted out" or do not have an email address in Ward Directory / MLS. (Note: I didn't actually send a message, so I am noting only whether the names appear under "Bcc" or on the list of those not receiving a message.)
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

Brwiyoung wrote:I'm glad to know the message went through to the spouse with "Stake visibility" setting when you tried it. And yes, it's hard to understand how the contrary result could happen. But it did happen in several specific cases when I sent a message to "All members."

I just tested messaging again, once again sending to "All members." Two of the couples have changed their setting since I first posted, so in those cases the names of both husband and wife are now listed under "Bcc." But there's one remaining couple where the husband's e-mail address is listed both for the household and himself individually (in both cases with "Ward visibility") and where his wife's different e-mail address is listed with the "Private" setting. BOTH their names are listed among those who have "opted out" or do not have an email address in Ward Directory / MLS. (Note: I didn't actually send a message, so I am noting only whether the names appear under "Bcc" or on the list of those not receiving a message.)
Please note that there is a critical difference between the scenario you tested and the one I tested. You are testing a household where the husband has "Ward" visibility, and I was testing one where the husband has "Stake" visibility. As I and many others have confirmed repeatedly, the Send a Message feature only sends email to people with "Stake" visibility. So according to the way the "Send a Message" feature seems to have been designed, the household you are talking about has indeed "opted out" and should not receive the message. So it the feature is working as designed.

As I have also said multiple times, I think the design is awful -- there is no reason I can conceive of why a bishop should not be able to send a message to a member with "Ward" visibility. But now that you have clarified that the household in question has "Ward" visibility, I don't see any bug here at all -- it is just the long-standing odd design.
Brwiyoung

Post by Brwiyoung »

I was pretty sure this was happening also in cases where the head of household was listed with "Stake visibility." But since the couples for whom this was happening have now changed their settings, I can't be sure what the setting were previously.
Brwiyoung

Post by Brwiyoung »

In any case, thanks for checking this out. Knowing that "Ward visibility" apparently doesn't allow ward leaders to get messages through, I'll see if I can get the word to members so they'll know the consequences of the settings they choose.

Return to “Leader and Clerk Resources”