Printing Directory with Photos "The PDF is being generated. This may take a minute."

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
jdcr256
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jdcr256 »

If anyone who can reproduce this problem regularly will answer any of my questions from #5 above, maybe I can get a little closer to tracking down the problem.
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

jdcr256 wrote:If anyone who can reproduce this problem regularly will answer any of my questions from #5 above, maybe I can get a little closer to tracking down the problem.

I just created a pdf w/pictures and it took a little over a minute with no errors noted.

FF6.01 WinXp
Have you read the Code of Conduct?
mfmohlma

Post by mfmohlma »

techgy wrote:I just created a pdf w/pictures and it took a little over a minute with no errors noted.

How many pictures do you have? I believe this problem occurs when wards (say YSA wards, for example) have lots of pictures. My ward has something like 10. :(
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

mfmohlma wrote:How many pictures do you have? I believe this problem occurs when wards (say YSA wards, for example) have lots of pictures. My ward has something like 10. :(

I didn't pay much attention, but it's certainly not as many as a YSA group would have. The problem may well be related to the number of pictures in that takes a MUCH longer time for the pdf to be created if everyone has a photo.

However, one previous post in this thread mentioned an error message with No photos being printed.
Have you read the Code of Conduct?
sully

YSA photo directory has issues loading

Post by sully »

jdcr256 wrote:It takes me 61.5 seconds to generate a photo directory with 174 photos in our test environment (tiny fraction of the horsepower production has, but no load). It succeeds for me every time. Could you answer the following two questions:

1 - How long (as exact as possible) before you get the error message in firefox? Is it the same every time, or does it vary? (if you're comfortable with firefox add-ons, you can use the lori plugin to get exact times, just search the add-on manager for 'lori')
2 - Do you have any photos in your directory that are broken (don't load in the web app)? To check this:
a) Click the photos link on the left side.
b) Once all the photos have had time to load, scan through the page, looking for a missing photo.
c) If there is no photo uploaded, you'll see the silhouette placeholder
d) If a photo is broken, you'll just see the families name as a hyperlink where the photo should be, no photo and no placeholder image.

I have been having numerous issues getting the directory to load with pictures. My ward is a YSA ward and almost every member does have a photo. The weird thing is the issue isn't consistent, sometimes it will work without any issues and other times it just won't load at all.

The most recent incident was today. It said it was loading, "The PDF is being generated. This may take a minute." The little wheel spun for approximately 3 or 4 minutes then I got a page with a proxy error stating:

"The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.
The proxy server could not handle the request GET /directory/services/ludrs/print/124/ward/.Reason: Error reading from remote server"

Then I tried again and it worked fine. However last Sunday I tried about 15 or 20 times and got the same error each time. I also tried using IE (I typically use Chrome) to see if that made a difference and it did not. I decided to try tonight so I'd be prepared for church tomorrow since everyone would like a new directory with all of the recent move-ins.
atom88

Post by atom88 »

kylehart wrote:Trying to print this for the Bishopric. Takes forever then times out; never once do I get a PDF file. Is this a known issue? Thanks

Our ward/stake is:
Oakton Ward (95214)

Oakton Virginia Stake (504092)

We have about 70% of the 153 households with pictures. We also have probably over 50% of the ward with individual pictures. I have another problem that is the fact that part-member families' pictures do not show up either. (Where the head of household is not a member but their name is showing up on the directory). Perhaps it's related to that problem too? I have put in a ticket / discussion on this issue already to).

Perhaps as an ADMIN/DEVELOPER on lds.org you can go into my ward/stake and see if you're able to print a PDF photo directory? Or if you can consistently replicate the problem? I have NEVER been able to see a PDF of the photo directory (using either the "save as" or "view pdf" options).

Thanks for your help.
atom88

Post by atom88 »

Here is the other issue with non-member spouses. the household or individual pictures do not show up either:
https://tech.lds.org/forum/showthread.p ... #post66564
vingolaw

Post by vingolaw »

Norwich England Stake; Kings Lynn Ward

This problem also occurs when trying to print the ward leaders and organisations (without photos) for one ward in our stake. All other wards process and print fine. The only known difference for this ward is that nearly every member has a photo uploaded AND has released their data to be viewed online.
starkjs
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by starkjs »

I have the exact same problem as Sully-- As do most of the bishops in our stake. Any word on when this will be resolved?
spencerstucki

Post by spencerstucki »

Unit 107069, St. George YSA 2nd ward. We have 291 members, and 80-90% of them have photos. I am rarely ever able to get it to generate a pdf. It just sits there spinning until I close it. I have let it go for two hours and it never finishes.

1 - Until I close it, and 2 hours is the longest I've let it run. I've tried firefox, chrome, and IE, on both mac and PC
2 - Broken images? There are different broken sometimes, but they are random, and if I reload I get different broken images, and sometimes it loads all of the pictures fine after a few reloads.

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”