Version 1.6.6 of Directory is released

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
cbradford

Post by cbradford »

Also, would it be possible to create a field that can be used to enter the unit's phone number so it can also appear on the directory? Thanks.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

cbradford wrote:Also, would it be possible to create a field that can be used to enter the unit's phone number so it can also appear on the directory? Thanks.
There's already a mechanism for reporting the unit's phone number. It can be done in stake MLS using the Ward Leader and Unit Change Request. So your request is really simply for including that information on the Directory's Ward Leadership or Meeting Times section. That's a good idea.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
jla59

Post by jla59 »

kisaac wrote:Thank You! We had decided not to use it for distribution as our phone list UNTIL the preferred name option was available, as people wanted their preferred name listed, and kept asking me as ward clerk why their record continually showed their full name. (Of course, it does seem to be printing incorrectly as mentioned in the last few posts. Selecting Individual contact details will print the names and individual phone numbers.)

However, why can't the user be given an option to select from either "preferred" or "given" names on this printout (and all screens in the directory?) At times we need both as leaders...

Also, while we are on the subject of Directory improvements...
  • When will we have a "print in Black and White" option for the directory? Certainly most clerk's office printers are still black and white laser printers....and the photocopies we make of these phone lists in the library are all black and white... While it might look good onscreen or printed at home in color, when anything is colored or gray, clarity is reduced by our photocopier, making it harder for our "older eyes" to see it, and especially colored or gray small text, such as your copyright and "church use only" instruction on the bottom of each page...
  • Why has the Sunday School President been left off the "ward Leadership" section for the new (and previous) listing on the directory? Our Sunday School President has certainly noticed he is the only leader in ward council NOT LISTED. He has not "opted out."
Yes, I will submit these items as feedback within the directory application...
In response to the print in Black and White option: I've have just come up with a work-around:

1. Save the pdf directory to the local disk.
2. Open the pdf file using LibreOffice 3.0 with extension "PDF Import 1.0.4" from Oracle
----- The Extension will open the pdf in LibreOffice Draw -----
3. Run the Macro "updateshape", Tools -> Macros -> Run Macro.
(See below for code.
-- copy and paste the code: Goto Macros -> Organize Macros -> LibreOffice Basic. Then drill down into My Macros ->basic -> Module1; Once there Click Edit. Below the Main Sub paste the below code. )

The macro will cycle through all TextFrame objects in all the pages and change the font to black.

Code: Select all

sub updateshape

dim oDrawDoc as object
dim oPage as object

oDrawDoc = ThisComponent

' get draw pages collection
oPages = oDrawDoc.getdrawpages

' total number of pages
nNumPages = oPages.getCount()

For j = 0 To nNumPages - 1

oPage = oDrawDoc.drawPages( j ) 

ChangeTextShapes( oPage )
Next

end sub

Private Sub ChangeTextShapes( oPage As Object )
nNumShapes = oPage.getCount()
    For i = 0 To nNumShapes - 1
        oShape = oPage.getByIndex( i )

oText = oShape.GetText 
        TextCursor = oText.createTextCursor

TextCursor.CharWeight = com.sun.star.awt.FontWeight.BOLD 
        TextCursor.CharColor = &H00000 'black 

Next
End Sub 
kisaac
Community Moderators

Post by kisaac »

jla59 wrote:In response to the print in Black and White option: I've have just come up with a work-around:
Wow! Now that's a work-around. thanks for sharing. I think the directory now does print in Black and Gray automatically. I still wish, for clarity when reproduced, it printed in all black text.
jla59

Post by jla59 »

kisaac wrote:Wow! Now that's a work-around. thanks for sharing. I think the directory now does print in Black and Gray automatically. I still wish, for clarity when reproduced, it printed in all black text.
I came up with the work-around because we also print to a black and white laser printer and the address and phone lines were so faint that it was unreadable. Also, I found that sometimes a few textframe objects won't update if the page has focus. To get around this, I added a blank page, then clicked on the blank page to give it the focus and then ran the macro. If you want a way to turn the text black and bold this does work.
cbradford

Post by cbradford »

cbradford wrote:Also, would it be possible to create a field that can be used to enter the unit's phone number so it can also appear on the directory? Thanks.

Can anyone say if this will ever be implemented? This seems like such a simple, common-sense thing to do.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

cbradford wrote:Can anyone say if this will ever be implemented? This seems like such a simple, common-sense thing to do.
I have no knowledge of whether this might be implemented, but it's hardly as simple as you imply. There's nothing else in the Directory that is like this -- a piece of information entered by someone in authority, that needs to be stored as unit data unrelated to a particular member or household. Since nothing like this exists right now, there's a fair amount of work involved.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
cbradford

Post by cbradford »

aebrown wrote:I have no knowledge of whether this might be implemented, but it's hardly as simple as you imply. There's nothing else in the Directory that is like this -- a piece of information entered by someone in authority, that needs to be stored as unit data unrelated to a particular member or household. Since nothing like this exists right now, there's a fair amount of work involved.
Maybe I have assumed to much, but what you described is exactly how the unit's address is entered if I am not mistaken. In MLS it's under System Options, Unit. That address is exactly what is printed on the directory. So why not add a field for phone number?
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

cbradford wrote:So why not add a field for phone number?
There is no phone number for the unit in MLS. There is a phone number in CDOL, but it is the bishop's office phone number. I believe that phone number comes from the FMAT database.

While there is a unit address in MLS for local MLS processes such as printing mailing labels. That address is not what feeds the directory.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

jdlessley wrote:There is no phone number for the unit in MLS. There is a phone number in CDOL, but it is the bishop's office phone number. I believe that phone number comes from the FMAT database.

While there is a unit address in MLS for local MLS processes such as printing mailing labels. That address is not what feeds the directory.
The phone numbers in CDOL are stored there. I believe they come from the Stake MLS or the Leader and Unit Change Request form.

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”