New Photo not showing up for assignment

Discussions about the Directory Tool on lds.org. Questions about the Directory on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
budbongo
New Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:17 am

New Photo not showing up for assignment

Postby budbongo » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:25 am

I am a clerk and in charge of managing photos for our ward. We have had members upload their pictures to the site and when I go in to new photos to assign the names, the photos are just "x's". As if the link is broke. Also I noticed that the last couple days, there has been problems with uploading. Is there any workaround for the photos to show up because I don't have a clue which members need to resubmit their photos. Thanks

holmsro
New Member
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:59 pm
Location: USA

Postby holmsro » Sun May 01, 2011 9:25 pm

I have been experiencing these same issues. Today I spent over an hour to upload 12 pictures.
I am also seeing issues with pictures not showing consistantly in all of the various places they are available (in household, photos, leadership, membership info, LDS Tools-household, individual, leadership).
Wonderful resource! Hope this info helps.

jdlessley
Community Moderators
Posts: 6526
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:30 pm
Location: USA, TX

Postby jdlessley » Sun May 01, 2011 11:06 pm

holmsro wrote:I have been experiencing these same issues. Today I spent over an hour to upload 12 pictures.
I am also seeing issues with pictures not showing consistantly in all of the various places they are available (in household, photos, leadership, membership info, LDS Tools-household, individual, leadership).
Wonderful resource! Hope this info helps.
The pictures most likely are there but just not being displayed. I had a household submit pictures for the household, the head of household, and spouse. The thumbnails showed the household picture and the spouse's picture but the head of household's picture was the x placeholder. After trying several methods to get the picture to display it just showed up after navigating to another household, back, and doubleclicking the placeholder just as I would do a thumbnail to get the full size picture to display. I don't know that anything I did was the fix. It just appeared.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the LDS.org Help Center page or the LDSTech wiki?

jla59
New Member
Posts: 34
Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:40 pm
Location: AZ, US

Postby jla59 » Sun May 08, 2011 6:09 pm

jdlessley wrote:The pictures most likely are there but just not being displayed. I had a household submit pictures for the household, the head of household, and spouse. The thumbnails showed the household picture and the spouse's picture but the head of household's picture was the x placeholder. After trying several methods to get the picture to display it just showed up after navigating to another household, back, and doubleclicking the placeholder just as I would do a thumbnail to get the full size picture to display. I don't know that anything I did was the fix. It just appeared.


I've had this happen to me also when reviewing "New Photos" to be approved. I read through some online help and somewhere I read that the pictures uploaded by members are viewable immediately only for that member. So, I went to the member's "Edit Profile" link, and there I could see a thumbnail photo. Under "Edit Profile", I clicked on the thumbnail which presented the normal sized photo. With the image at this screen, I right-clicked and did a Save-As to save a local copy. In "Edit Profile", I clicked "Choose File" and selected the recently saved photo. After upload, the photo correctly showed in "New Photos" and I approved it. The photo then showed up in the directory.

If you had to do this on all photos then this work-around wouldn't be very nice but for the off-one cases, it's not too bad.

davesudweeks
Senior Member
Posts: 550
Joined: Sun May 09, 2010 8:16 pm
Location: Owasso, OK, USA

Postby davesudweeks » Thu May 12, 2011 10:43 am

I confirmed with my Bishop last night - he uploaded a photo sometime last month but when I look it just shows the placeholder in the "Manage Photos" page. I opened his profile and there is an "X" box next to his photo placeholder (like a picture is there) but the photo placeholder is blank - there is no thumbnail - only the generic placeholder.

Other than advising him to upload his photo again, are there any other suggestions?

jdlessley
Community Moderators
Posts: 6526
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:30 pm
Location: USA, TX

Postby jdlessley » Thu May 12, 2011 11:51 am

I think it is a programming bug. The same individual's photo that I posted about above does not appear when I go to the Manage Photos page; only the x placeholder is displayed. But when I go to the household page the thumbnail is there; and when I double click the thumbnail the large photo appears as it should. But when I go back to Manage Photos it is still not there and only the x placeholder is there.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the LDS.org Help Center page or the LDSTech wiki?

davesudweeks
Senior Member
Posts: 550
Joined: Sun May 09, 2010 8:16 pm
Location: Owasso, OK, USA

Postby davesudweeks » Thu May 12, 2011 9:08 pm

I think I may have a different problem. In the Manage Photos page, the x placeholder is displayed. In all other pages, including the household page, nothing is displayed (just the "generic person" outline when nothing has been uploaded). Is it possible he may have used a photo format that is incompatible with the web page?

I'll ask the Bishop to check and see if he can see his photo anywhere and if not, re-upload it.

Thanks,
Dave Sudweeks

pierce1of5
New Member
Posts: 20
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2008 4:50 pm
Location: Columbia, Tennessee,United states

Postby pierce1of5 » Thu May 26, 2011 3:01 pm

I'm a website admin. Is it possible that there is a 2 way approval process. I have 2 pictures that are only visible as a thumbnail. Do the members need to approve pictures that a leader puts up before it's visible in the larger format? I'll try to upload the pictures in a smaller size.

jdlessley
Community Moderators
Posts: 6526
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:30 pm
Location: USA, TX

Postby jdlessley » Thu May 26, 2011 7:04 pm

pierce1of5 wrote:Is it possible that there is a 2 way approval process. I have 2 pictures that are only visible as a thumbnail. Do the members need to approve pictures that a leader puts up before it's visible in the larger format?
Approvers can post pictures which become immediately available for viewing. All others can only submit the photos for approval by an approver before being available to others.

The optimum photo size for a large image is 500 pixels wide by 375 pixels tall.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the LDS.org Help Center page or the LDSTech wiki?

chriswoodut
New Member
Posts: 49
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:42 am

Postby chriswoodut » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:40 am

budbongo wrote:I am a clerk and in charge of managing photos for our ward. We have had members upload their pictures to the site and when I go in to new photos to assign the names, the photos are just "x's". As if the link is broke. Also I noticed that the last couple days, there has been problems with uploading. Is there any workaround for the photos to show up because I don't have a clue which members need to resubmit their photos. Thanks


I have run into this same thing. I'm surprised this bug is still around 5 months after your post. In order to learn people's names, our new stake president has asked us to update our pictures in our ward since they are about 6 years old. We have people uploading pictures and then some show up as blank (x) in the approval page. I've tried waiting 24 hours to see if they show up, but they never do. I then have to ask the member to upload their picture again or just email it to me and I upload it. One member said they did receive an upload error on one picture.

Another bug.... This same family also uploaded a couple of individual pictures for the individual family members. I approved two of them (they showed up on the approval page) and they still don't show up in the directory.


Return to “Directory”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest