Photo-Directory for New Website

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
jhigbee

Photo-Directory for New Website

Post by jhigbee »

I hope this is an appropriate category from which to ask this question (and I don’t see it addressed in at least the past 4 months here). Our new Bishopric and website clerk are working thru the process of updating our ward website photos and determining whether and how we might print out some photo-directories for some ward members. We have a good number of photos posted on our classic site and can easily print out sets of them; but we’re working thru issues for the new site; one of which is how to print them. Under Print/Display Options, all I can see one can do is to print the directory with names, addresses & phone #s (with the only custom option being to print them in either 4 columns on down to 1 column). I must be missing something on how to include the entered photos to print with the directory.

But someone might be ready to tell me that the Church website folk don’t want wards printing out photo-directories any more- rather to encourage their members to only go online to their ward website to view the entered photos. But some ward members won’t ever get to the point where they want to use the ward websites, and/or they find it inconvenient to have to fire up their computer each time they just want to put a face to a name. Can someone enlighten me in this printing question? Underscoring this question is the impending day when it appears we’ll lose the classic site.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

jhigbee wrote:Under Print/Display Options, all I can see one can do is to print the directory with names, addresses & phone #s (with the only custom option being to print them in either 4 columns on down to 1 column). I must be missing something on how to include the entered photos to print with the directory.

But someone might be ready to tell me that the Church website folk don’t want wards printing out photo-directories any more- rather to encourage their members to only go online to their ward website to view the entered photos.
Currently the print button will only print a text directory of your ward regardless of what directory or type of directory you are viewing. We have not heard whether photos will be included in the directory print capabilities for any future updates or revisions. We can ony wait to see.

The timeline for the next revision for the directory is not clear. The calendar help mentions a major redesign release in June. We hope that the directory will also have a redesign release at the same time.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
HarperAB

Post by HarperAB »

Printing with photos is now supported. Please check out at https://lds.org/directory/?lang=enghttps://LDS.org/Directory.
nutterb

Post by nutterb »

This is great! The only thing I would change is to use preferred names instead of full names (and I did submit that as feedback). But that's the ungrateful side of me talking. All-in-all, I'm very happy to have this functioning.
zaneclark

Post by zaneclark »

Yes!! Very nice! And i also found you can now print leadership lists... ... It only prints the leaders, their counselors and secretaries and of course the bishop his counselors, ward clerk and executive secretary. It would be good to have a printout of all those listed in the leaders link....
jdcr256
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jdcr256 »

zaneclark wrote:Yes!! Very nice! And i also found you can now print leadership lists... ... It only prints the leaders, their counselors and secretaries and of course the bishop his counselors, ward clerk and executive secretary. It would be good to have a printout of all those listed in the leaders link....

We do plan to offer a complete leadership list, but we need more time to develop a plan for offering the some type of formatting options. The leadership list can get pretty long when groups like the Primary list all the primary teachers, cub leaders, activity days leaders, etc. So we thought we'd start with a nice single-page directory that listed the essentials, and move on from there... :)
Pollan

Post by Pollan »

I am the clerk in a YSA ward (ie., I am an out of unit member). When I display the Leadership section the photos we have uploaded for the Bishop, 1st Counselor and 2nd Counselor do not display; but mine displays. When they log on, their photo displays but not mine. How can we correct this?
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

This sounds like the situation when a photo has been submitted but not yet approved by an approver. Members of the ward cannot view the photos until they are approved. Only the submitter and the approvers can view the photos. The default approvers are the bishopric members and the clerks. But since you are an out-of-unit member clerk you may not have approver rights yet and are treated as a regular ward member.

If the bishopric members are not out-of-unit any one of them should be able to approve your photo for display on the directory. When an approver logs onto the directory they will have two menu items in the left menu pane. They are New Photos (x) and Manage Photos. If they click New Photos (x) they will see those awaiting approval and can approve yours for display.

I do not know why you are not able to see the bishopric member photos since they are automatically approved, provided they are the ones who submitted them.

If an approver has uploaded photos they also need to assign the photos to a family or person before they can be displayed. If they are able to see the photos in the directory then this is not the issue.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”