Position of "Save Changes" button in Directory

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
bgraabek

Position of "Save Changes" button in Directory

Post by bgraabek »

I have spoken to a number of members in our stake who thought they had either changed information in the directory or thought they had made their profile public, but it is obvious they haven't. I'm wondering if the <Save Changes> button should be both at the top and the bottom of a profile page. I think what happens in some cases is a member ticks the box to make their profile public, and the only button they see is <Close>, so they click that and then they've actually gotten rid of the setting(s) they just made unknowingly.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

bgraabek wrote:I have spoken to a number of members in our stake who thought they had either changed information in the directory or thought they had made their profile public, but it is obvious they haven't. I'm wondering if the <Save Changes> button should be both at the top and the bottom of a profile page. I think what happens in some cases is a member ticks the box to make their profile public, and the only button they see is <Close>, so they click that and then they've actually gotten rid of the setting(s) they just made unknowingly.
Perhaps, but if you make any changes and then click the Close button, you will be prompted if you want to save your changes. It's not like the changes are simply discarded. So I doubt that people are losing their changes unknowingly because of the position of the Close button.

It may be that they are simply navigating away from the Directory or closing their browser. If they navigate somewhere else within the Directory (such as the Leadership Directory), they will still be prompted, but if they navigate to a totally different page, or even somewhere else in lds.org, they will lose any changes. I would guess that this would be the more likely reason people might lose changes.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”