remove nonmember spouse's name from online ward directory

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
kalong71

Re: remove nonmember spouse's name from online ward director

Post by kalong71 »

Well, I am glad to see that some conversation is being generated by this issue. The main problem is with people who are separated, but not divorced. They simply do not want people to call asking for their spouse who doesn't even live there anymore.

As for the "as expected" comment. I think that is a fair statement since for nearly 20 years, as I remember, the clerks did not have to worry about this situation at all. MLS simply did not include the "spouse of record" in any report or list. So it seems an oversight for these individuals to now be listed in the on-line reports and lists.

I hope that, in addition, to submitting "feedback" some of you who have contact with the developers will help elevate this issue -- for it is a real issue to those spouses who are often at a very vulnerable point in their lives. Receiving such calls from well meaning church members can be very painful.

And... calling LUS for every individual instance seems like such a waste of precious resources, not to mention tithing dollars.

Thanks everyone for all you do!

Elder Kevin Long, New York New York North Mission.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

kalong71 wrote:As for the "as expected" comment. I think that is a fair statement since for nearly 20 years, as I remember, the clerks did not have to worry about this situation at all. MLS simply did not include the "spouse of record" in any report or list. So it seems an oversight for these individuals to now be listed in the on-line reports and lists.

I hope that, in addition, to submitting "feedback" some of you who have contact with the developers will help elevate this issue -- for it is a real issue to those spouses who are often at a very vulnerable point in their lives.
As already indicated by one of the developers in a post a year and a half ago this was not an oversight but a requirement given to the developers. So talking to the developers about it isn't going to change anything. Any decision to change to either the default behavior or to expend effort to put this under the control of the clerks will have to come from those general authorities in the Priesthood department who have responsibility over these systems. If your stake president feels it is important enough he can talk to his priesthood leaders to provide more direct feedback.
kalong71

Post by kalong71 »

Thanks again. I have been out of the loop I guess. I will see what I can do via the priesthood. Cheers.
devinfarmer

Re: remove nonmember spouse's name from online ward directory

Post by devinfarmer »

Three years later and counting from the last post. Still have to perform the manual procedure?
eblood66

Re: remove nonmember spouse's name from online ward directory

Post by eblood66 »

devinfarmer wrote:Three years later and counting from the last post. Still have to perform the manual procedure?
Yes, you still have to contact LUS.

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”