Beta directory activities committee

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Beta directory activities committee

Post by aebrown »

The Stake Leadership area of the beta directory (https://beta.lds.org/directory) has an section for various organizations (stake presidency, high council, stake RS presidency, etc.).

These organizations seem pretty straightforward and mostly populate as I would expect. But for our stake, the Activities Committee area is blank. I don't recall offhand precisely which standard callings we have have entered in MLS in the activities area, but I know we have entered some. Does anyone know which standard callings are supposed to appear under Activities Committee in the Stake Leadership area?
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
mfmohlma

Post by mfmohlma »

I see a "Stake Activities Committee Chairman" listed in ours with the name of someone who hasn't had the calling for at least two years now... Nobody else is listed.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Alan_Brown wrote:But for our stake, the Activities Committee area is blank.
Ditto.

I did notice that it seems like the directory only had the "high level" of each organization. For example, my calling of STS isn't listed anywhere. Fewer calls to me asking for things. :D

Edit: Nor do I see Activity Committee in the CDOL, so I can't compare.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

Although I would agree that at this time the Asst. Stake Clerk positions are not being shown in the new Beta Directory, it's important to remember that the positions of members with a Stake or Ward calling should always be entered using the official terms as available in drop-down list in the MLS software.

Custom Callings - are local to the unit only and not uploaded. If a calling is issued to someone as the "Membership Clerk" it will not be shown in the CDOL and in addition as the position isn't recognized "officially" the member with the calling won't have the access level he normally would have. The "Membership Clerk" official calling would instead be "Asst. Clerk - Membership".

This applies to all callings in the ward, but becomes important when it refers to leadership positions.

We have just undertaken an effort in our stake to request the ward clerks to review the custom callings in their wards and make any necessary changes to insure that members are being officially recognized.
Have you read the Code of Conduct?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

Techgy wrote:Although I would agree that at this time the Asst. Stake Clerk positions are not being shown in the new Beta Directory, it's important to remember that the positions of members with a Stake or Ward calling should always be entered using the official terms as available in drop-down list in the MLS software.
All of our assistant stake clerk positions are showing up in CDOL, and all of them are showing up in the Beta directory -- with the exception of the STS. But I wondered in our stake if that is just because I have two assistant stake clerk positions, and it only shows one per person. From what you're saying, perhaps the STS doesn't show up at all in the beta directory. But we have a regular assistant stake clerk, an assistant clerk for membership, and an assistant clerk for finance, and all three show up in the beta directory.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

Techgy wrote: Custom Callings - are local to the unit only and not uploaded. If a calling is issued to someone as the "Membership Clerk" it will not be shown in the CDOL and in addition as the position isn't recognized "officially" the member with the calling won't have the access level he normally would have. The "Membership Clerk" official calling would instead be "Asst. Clerk - Membership".
Custom Callings now show up in CDOL (as of 2.4.1), but as you say they can't be used anywhere else to grant rights, so where there is one the Standard Calling is the right one to use
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

Alan_Brown wrote:All of our assistant stake clerk positions are showing up in CDOL, and all of them are showing up in the Beta directory -- with the exception of the STS. But I wondered in our stake if that is just because I have two assistant stake clerk positions, and it only shows one per person. From what you're saying, perhaps the STS doesn't show up at all in the beta directory. But we have a regular assistant stake clerk, an assistant clerk for membership, and an assistant clerk for finance, and all three show up in the beta directory.
The beta directory currently uses a shorter list of callings that it shows for now. They have worked with CDOL services to get the complete list of standard callings. I don't know when that change is expected to make it to the beta site.
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

Alan_Brown wrote:All of our assistant stake clerk positions are showing up in CDOL, and all of them are showing up in the Beta directory -- with the exception of the STS. But I wondered in our stake if that is just because I have two assistant stake clerk positions, and it only shows one per person. From what you're saying, perhaps the STS doesn't show up at all in the beta directory. But we have a regular assistant stake clerk, an assistant clerk for membership, and an assistant clerk for finance, and all three show up in the beta directory.
I am the STS for our stake and the calling has been entered using the official terms and not a custom calling. However, although I DO appear in the CDOL AND I have the rights afforded me in other areas, I do not appear in the new Beta.lds.org directory under the stake positions. In fact, none of the Asst. Clerks for the stake are appearing. The beta directory only gives the stake presidency, exec secretary and stake clerk.
Have you read the Code of Conduct?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

Techgy wrote:I am the STS for our stake and the calling has been entered using the official terms and not a custom calling. However, although I DO appear in the CDOL AND I have the rights afforded me in other areas, I do not appear in the new Beta.lds.org directory under the stake positions. In fact, none of the Asst. Clerks for the stake are appearing. The beta directory only gives the stake presidency, exec secretary and stake clerk.
It appears that there is a problem with the STS position. No one has yet mentioned that they see the STS in the Stake Leadership of the beta.lds.org directory.

But I'm curious about your other assistant stake clerks. You said they don't appear in the beta directory, but you never mentioned whether they appeared in the CDOL. Do they? If so, then in the CDOL do they appear in black text with the standard calling name, or in orange text with some other calling name?

If those other assistant stake clerks are not in CDOL, or if they are listed with orange text (indicative of a custom calling), then I'm not surprised that they don't show up in beta.lds.org's Stake Leadership directory. In our stake, the assistant stake clerks show up in CDOL with standard callings (black text), and they also appear in beta.lds.org.
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

Techgy wrote:I am the STS for our stake and the calling has been entered using the official terms and not a custom calling. However, although I DO appear in the CDOL AND I have the rights afforded me in other areas, I do not appear in the new Beta.lds.org directory under the stake positions. In fact, none of the Asst. Clerks for the stake are appearing. The beta directory only gives the stake presidency, exec secretary and stake clerk.
In addition to Alan's questions, are you using the Stake Assistant Clerk calling or are you using the specific ones, Stake Assistant Clerk--Membership and Stake Assistant Clerk--Finance. I know they hard coded the list of positions that they show in the directory for now. They may not have put the generic one in the list.

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”