Beta Directory Issues

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
atticusewig

Flow both ways

Post by atticusewig »

We have already seen with the LDS Account that
individual members can update their contact info and
it would be sent as a change to their ward's MLS.

Why not allow the stake website admin or stake clerk
be able to change the callings on the website and have
that data flow to the proper copy of MLS ?

To avoid unnecessary meddling, changes sent to the ward's
MLS could require an approve/disapprove on the part of the
MLS user before posting to the website. To really force clerk
participation, rather than making it an "Urgent Task", block
transmission until a Yeah or Nay is made. Not being able to
transmit the weekly donations to HQ should be a sufficient
motivator. A dialog box should pop up with the proposed
change, and Appprove/Disapprove whenever a transmission
is attempted.

This seems like a better way to provide complete information.

- Atticus
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

atticusewig wrote:We have already seen with the LDS Account that
individual members can update their contact info and
it would be sent as a change to their ward's MLS.

Why not allow the stake website admin or stake clerk
be able to change the callings on the website and have
that data flow to the proper copy of MLS ?
- Atticus
Actually the ability to manage callings is being developed in the MLS online tools that are part of the beta as well. That work is not done yet, but when done it will directly update the calling in CDOL and the changes will be sent down to MLS.
zaneclark

Standard callings on beta directory?

Post by zaneclark »

Is the standard list of callings found in the wiki current? I found some differences between that list and those on the beta directory. For example, the standard list uses Relief Society Teacher but the beta directory uses Relief Society Instructor. Since the MLS leaders info is fed to the new beta directory, I want to be sure it is correct.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

If you use a standard calling in MLS, it will always be correct. The listing in the wiki is just a guide and can be out of date.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

zaneclark wrote:Is the standard list of callings found in the wiki current? I found some differences between that list and those on the beta directory. For example, the standard list uses Relief Society Teacher but the beta directory uses Relief Society Instructor. Since the MLS leaders info is fed to the new beta directory, I want to be sure it is correct.
Last time I checked the names for callings in the beta directory were hard coded so they could be different than what MLS shows. However, the beta directory doesn't identify callings by name but by an internal ID (defined by CDOL I believe). So as long as you use the standardized callings as listed in MLS it will show up in the beta directory (possibly with a slightly different name).
zaneclark

Post by zaneclark »

eblood66 wrote:Last time I checked the names for callings in the beta directory were hard coded so they could be different than what MLS shows. However, the beta directory doesn't identify callings by name but by an internal ID (defined by CDOL I believe). So as long as you use the standardized callings as listed in MLS it will show up in the beta directory (possibly with a slightly different name).
I think I understand but now I have another question..... Will the beta be able to display custom positions? There are many assistants, greeters, etc. in various organizations that should be listed...
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

zaneclark wrote:...the standard list uses Relief Society Teacher but the beta directory uses Relief Society Instructor. Since the MLS leaders info is fed to the new beta directory, I want to be sure it is correct.
MLS has a position called "Relief Society Teacher" but when that calling is sent to the CDOL, it is called "Relief Society Instructor"; the beta leadership directory uses the same term as the CDOL.

So the wiki's list of callings accurately reflects what MLS lists as standard callings, but that doesn't match the CDOL or beta directory. And the latest MLS 3.2 beta also still uses the term "Teacher", not "Instructor". Oh well.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

zaneclark wrote: Will the beta be able to display custom positions? There are many assistants, greeters, etc. in various organizations that should be listed...
I don't know what the plans are, but at this point the beta directory doesn't list any custom positions. It doesn't even list all the standard positions. There is apparently some magic list of the callings that are displayed in the beta directory, which includes all the leadership positions, but then just a limited selection of the remaining standard callings.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
jdcr256
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jdcr256 »

Alan_Brown wrote:I don't know what the plans are, but at this point the beta directory doesn't list any custom positions. It doesn't even list all the standard positions. There is apparently some magic list of the callings that are displayed in the beta directory, which includes all the leadership positions, but then just a limited selection of the remaining standard callings.
The positions shown currently in the Directory are what I believe are referred to as 'Tier 1' and 'Tier 2' callings in CDOL. There is also a category of 'Tier 3' callings that includes custom callings. ryan jones would be the expert on what is in each of the Tiers. As far as I know, all of Tiers 1 and 2 are included in the Directory.

There is a possible future enhancement to Directory to include Tier 3 callings, but that is a lower priority item right now.
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

jdcr256 wrote:The positions shown currently in the Directory are what I believe are referred to as 'Tier 1' and 'Tier 2' callings in CDOL. There is also a category of 'Tier 3' callings that includes custom callings. ryan jones would be the expert on what is in each of the Tiers. As far as I know, all of Tiers 1 and 2 are included in the Directory.

There is a possible future enhancement to Directory to include Tier 3 callings, but that is a lower priority item right now.
The current code in beta uses a hard coded list of specific callings. The code in some of the test environments is calling CDOL for the entire list of standard callings (Tier 1 and 2). The custom callings (Tier 3) need a little work and then they can be added as desired (I don't know the priority of that for the directory team).

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”