Beta Directory - Admin Rights

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

lajackson wrote:Which works well until they both manage to send their membership records out of their ward. [grin]
This is why the special ward admin would be tied to a standard position in MLS as I explained in more detail in my previous post. Individuals are not added to the special ward admin but the standard position is added or deleted.

I really don't see why a stake admin can edit any ward profile but not the photo.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jdlessley wrote:
RussellHltn wrote:
jdlessley wrote:Those that do not want stake admins interfering with LUWS administration usually figure out they can remove the stake admins and do so.
Until the stake admins team up and add themselves back.

It seems the direction here is that all callings will be recorded in MLS and the rights flow from that. That sounds like a better idea then allowing admins to add admins where not everyone can see who is a admin.
????? Either you do not understand what I was proposing or I do not understand what you are saying.
The first part refers to how LUWS works now. Stake admins can team up and add themselves back into a ward website that they have been deleted from. BTDT.

The second part is just an observation. The church seems to be moving toward the idea that callings recorded in MLS sets member's rights. One benefit of this idea is that anyone with access to MLS can see who holds admin rights to the website. Currently with LUWS, one has to be an admin to see who the other admins are. That strikes me as limiting the Bishopric's ability to oversee the operations.

Granted the calendars work differently, but I think that's by necessity. There are no pre-determined calenders, so it would be difficult to be able to set in MLS what calender each individual can admin.

As for your proposal, I disagree with it on two counts. First, it gives the ward power over the stake. That's not the order of things. Can you show me any other area of the church where it works that way?

Secondly, to suggest that a new ward admin adds a stake admin so the stake can conduct training strikes me as placing the cart before the horse. How is the ward admin going to know how to do that prior to their training?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
cottrells

Post by cottrells »

jdcr256 wrote:Right now there is no Stake Admin role for photos in the directory, as it can all be handled at the ward level. If you have strong use cases for adding this, we can consider them as we continue development on this project.
I understand that the reason for no Stake Admin role is that because it can be handled at the ward level. Others have made the case that a Stake Admin role is needed to support ward training needs.

Another reason for needing a Stake Admin role is because there is no ward admin support. In the Poole Stake there is a branch on a remote island with just two Melchizedek priesthood holders. As stake clerk they call upon me to perform many admin tasks. Helping them with admin on the new directory and calendar for their branch will benefit the local members without putting more workload on these two diligent leaders.
kisaac
Community Moderators

Post by kisaac »

Alan_Brown wrote:Unfortunately those of us at the stake level who serve as stake website administrators may have rights to ward LUWS sites, but we have no rights at all in the new beta directory sites. That seems to be an unfortunate oversight.

A similar decision was made by the developers of the beta-maps.lds.org site as well. Sad.
A similar matter in reverse. As ward clerk, I have admin rights in beta-maps.lds.org for my ward, but I have not been granted CDOL access rights to view boundary maps of my own ward, or adjacent wards in my stake. Why are my ward boundaries a stake-level secret? When I get a membership for an adjacent ward by mistake, I can't view the boundaries to figure out which ward it should go to.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

RussellHltn wrote:As for your proposal, I disagree with it on two counts. First, it gives the ward power over the stake. That's not the order of things. Can you show me any other area of the church where it works that way?
My proposal adds in administrators that the developers are currently going to leave out. They are the ones, as you call it, giving power of the ward over the stake. I am proposing that the stake get back some ability to perform their callings through administrative rights. Granted the ward may decide when that happens but this is more than they are planning to give right now.
RussellHltn wrote:Secondly, to suggest that a new ward admin adds a stake admin so the stake can conduct training strikes me as placing the cart before the horse. How is the ward admin going to know how to do that prior to their training?
A great deal of callings in the Church require the newly called to learn through reading available documentation on the duties and responsibilities for that new calling. Is it too much to ask a new admin to read some on-line help to learn one procedure? If that is placing the cart before the horse then I see a lot of that going on within the Church. We are only talking about admin rights to editing photos here - not admin rights for the entire directory.

The Church developers are not going to include any admins outside the ward. How is a stake admin going to help or train without some sort of admin cabability. One method is to be in front of the computer with the new admin. There are others that are less effective and more time consuming. My proposal was a compromise to permit some sort of training opportunity by having at least some sort of temporary administrative functionality.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jdlessley wrote:I am proposing that the stake get back some ability to perform their callings through administrative rights.
I agree with that, I'm disagreeing about doing via the ward admins.

jdlessley wrote:Is it too much to ask a new admin to read some on-line help to learn one procedure?
It's not too much to ask, but it may be too much to expect. Just the other week I had to guide a High Councilor click by click on how to reset his LDS Account password.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
greenwoodkl

YSA Stakes

Post by greenwoodkl »

As a member of a student stake, I could see the need to have some level of admin rights at the stake level in order to update stake callings filled by out of unit members, unless their pictures will be managed by their local units. In the case of our student stake, bishoprics and stake leaders are not members of any unit of the stake directly but have to be added as out of unit.

Additionally, and this may warrant its own thread, it would be very nice if the MLS and directory teams could find some solution for YSA/student stakes where we could create more standardized organizations and not lump our hundreds of callings all into "other". Or even disable unused organizations (deactivate/hide Primary, YM/YW, etc...)

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”