Beta Directory Photos

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

LDSNYC wrote:Does anyone know if there is a way to import the photos from the old lds.org directory, or if this will occur automatically at some point?
I imagine no one has responded to your question because no one on the forum knows the answer.

If I had to guess, I would assume that the answer is no. The new directory allows substantially larger images (375x500 as opposed to 135x180 in the old directory). So it would be a pity to use those old tiny images, although I suppose one could argue that something is better than nothing. Hopefully the ward website administrator kept the original images and can upload them to the new site.

Also, the new capability for uploading individual images had no analogue on the old ward website, so those images would have to be uploaded separately anyway.

The good news for administrators is that individual members can now upload their own photos, so hopefully members will handle this themselves without the ward administrator(s) having to be in the middle of the process (except for a simple approval of the photos uploaded by the members).
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Alan_Brown wrote:The good news for administrators is that individual members can now upload their own photos, so hopefully members will handle this themselves without the ward administrator(s) having to be in the middle of the process (except for a simple approval of the photos uploaded by the members).
I forget. Does the new website automatically resize the photos? If not, then I commend your optimism, but ....
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

RussellHltn wrote:I forget. Does the new website automatically resize the photos? If not, then I commend your optimism, but ....
It does resize photos automatically. Look back at the beginning of this thread for a discussion of that.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
allenjblodgett

Post by allenjblodgett »

Now I don't even see a place to upload or a coming soon thing. I wonder if they are reserving that right to heads of household or something?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

allen.blodgett wrote:Now I don't even see a place to upload or a coming soon thing. I wonder if they are reserving that right to heads of household or something?
My wife can upload photos, so it's not restricted to head of household. To upload photos, you need to:
  • Be signed in to https://beta.lds.org/directory
  • Select a family for which you have rights to edit the profile (the easiest way is to click on the "My Family" link to go to your family).
  • Select Edit Profile.
Then you should see the "Choose File" links by the household and by each individual member.
jdcr256
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jdcr256 »

LDSNYC wrote:Does anyone know if there is a way to import the photos from the old lds.org directory, or if this will occur automatically at some point?
There will not be any import of photos from the old LUWS.

Also, it's worthwhile to mention that our latest release (Apr. 30th) does improve somewhat on the compression algorithm we use. You should see better results now when uploading photos.

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”