Individualized Visibility Settings

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
gshosford

Individualized Visibility Settings

Post by gshosford »

The stake presidency has asked that stake leaders, including auxiliary presidencies and secretaries, have their visibility set to Stake Visibility. We live in an area outside of North America where the default setting is probably "Private Leaders Only." Currently, changing visibility to Stake Visibility is not intuitive in that household visibility settings limit the settings one can set using "LDS Account-Contact Settings" page. However, one needs to go to a completely different page to establish the household settings. After learning how to do it, I created a step-by-step tutorial without graphics to explain how to change the household settings. The tutorial has 17 steps to it. That is just to change the household visibility setting. Then after all that one must change their personal settings for various contact methods.

You are correct that I did not need to "reinvent the wheel," all that is available at https://www.lds.org/help/support/editin ... e?lang=eng. However, the "Contact Settings" does not have a link to https://www.lds.org/help/support/editin ... e?lang=eng.

Is there a way to simplify changing household visibility settings and make it more intuitive? Even having a link to https://www.lds.org/help/support/editin ... e?lang=eng on the "Contact Settings" page would help. Also simplifying the process would also help.

LDS.org and LDS Tools are marvelous tools thank you for all you do and have done to develop and maintain them.
drepouille

Re: Individualized Visibility Settings

Post by drepouille »

Are you suggesting that each stake leader needs to login to lds.org and modify their own visibility settings?

I believe it is possible for the stake clerk to change the visibility settings of all stake leaders, so they don't need to change them.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

drepouille wrote:I believe it is possible for the stake clerk to change the visibility settings of all stake leaders, so they don't need to change them.
Probably. However, I wouldn't do that without the consent of the individual leaders. The default settings are due to the laws of the land in that part of the world requiring opt-in rather than allowing opt-out. I would question if the stake president has the legal authority order that change for the leaders.

Besides, if the leaders do it themselves, then they're in the position to help others that want to make the change.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

They should be able to edit both their household and personal settings in LDS Tools and lds.org/directory. That might be a simpler way for the members to fix all their settings.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

gshosford wrote:Is there a way to simplify changing household visibility settings and make it more intuitive? Even having a link to https://www.lds.org/help/support/editin ... e?lang=eng on the "Contact Settings" page would help. Also simplifying the process would also help.
Note that the forums are just user-to-user help. The decision makers in charge of the online and mobile tools do not frequent the forums and won't see your request. You'll need to submit them using Feedback link on lds.org in order to get your comments to those decision makers.
mevans

Post by mevans »

jonesrk mentioned the quick way to do it. I'm not certain if a stake clerk has permission to make such changes. I know ward clerks and assistant clerks can change it for members in their units. I've found if people say they're going to do it and you don't have them do it while you're talking with them, that it doesn't get changed. It's been easier for me (assistant clerk) to change the settings when people give me permission.

I'm in the USA and found that very few people actually want less than stake visibility when I've found that their settings were more strict.

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”