Two Stakes, 3 wards, 1 Building

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
danielplaizier

Two Stakes, 3 wards, 1 Building

Post by danielplaizier »

Our ward recently moved into another building that is in another stake. . . .

Last question, and it may not be appropriate for this forum but the same issue [from the Calendar subforum] arises when being able to view leadership contact information for the other two wards. Is it possible to have this shown as well?
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: Two Stakes, 3 wards, 1 Building

Post by lajackson »

danielplaizier wrote:Our ward recently moved into another building that is in another stake. . . .

Last question, and it may not be appropriate for this forum but the same issue [from the Calendar subforum] arises when being able to view leadership contact information for the other two wards. Is it possible to have this shown as well?
You will not see any out of stake Directory or leadership information, unless you are entered as an out of unit member in the other stake and given a calling there. Same for them. They will not see you unless you make one of them an out of unit member and give them a calling.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

However, Bishoprics and Stake Presidencies have access to the CDOL which will provide some leadership information about the other stake.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
dotson98

Post by dotson98 »

We have the same problem. There are four buildings that wards in our Stake attend, and only two of them are "in our stake". We have constant communication issues with the other stakes, especially trying to find out who the building schedulers are.

What are the implications of adding the building schedulers as "out-of-unit" members?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

dotson98 wrote:What are the implications of adding the building schedulers as "out-of-unit" members?
I'm not sure what you mean by "building scheduler". The calendar system only permits building schedulers to be set by the agent stake for the building. I'm not sure as it can be assigned to a out of unit member, as it's not handled as a calling, but selected directly within the app.

I think you can see who is assigned as the building scheduler in the calendar app. If you can see the building in the "facility" list on the main page, if you click on it, you should see who is the building scheduler, their email and phone number.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
dotson98

Post by dotson98 »

Most people bypass the calendar for scheduling and make their arrangements directly with the person who is called as the "Building Scheduler". As for the other stakes' building schedulers showing, they either don't have anyone set, or it just doesn't show their names.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

dotson98 wrote:Most people bypass the calendar for scheduling and make their arrangements directly with the person who is called as the "Building Scheduler".
That may block off use of the building, but that doesn't place the event on the calendar where members can see it. Individual units can use that method, but the calendar system doesn't really support doing that on a multi-unit basis since no one can add events to a unit they don't belong to.
dotson98 wrote:As for the other stakes' building schedulers showing, they either don't have anyone set, or it just doesn't show their names.
If they're using the calendar system for scheduling, then they may not need one. In the current calendar system, the building scheduler has more of a "conflict resolution" role than a active part of the scheduling. The day-to-day scheduling has been replaced by the computer. If the other stake is actively using the calendar, you can adopt the same method of scheduling and you'd only need to communicate to the other stake when there is a conflict.

As for having the other stake call building schedulers to deal with conflicts, have your stake president talk with their stake president. Discuss with area authority as needed. But even if that does come to pass, they may not want you calling them to schedule events - just for dealing with conflicts. Which means someone in your stake will have to be doing the scheduling. Perhaps as a "calendar coordinator".

dotson98

Post by dotson98 »

I think that the calendar use varies, and some building schedulers may put the event on the calendar themselves.

I would love to have them adopt the calendar fully, but old habits die hard. So, as I can't force the use of the calendar, then the next best thing is to get the Scheduler to show up in the directory / LDS Tools. That's why I'm asking about adding them as an Out-Of-Unit member. I don't want to do that if it messes with their current membership.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

If you just need someone to schedule the building, then I'd suggest calling a "calendar coordinator" for each unit. Give them admin rights to the unit's calendar and have at it. That way, the building is scheduled and the event is where the members can see it.

dotson98

Post by dotson98 »

I like the suggestion, but I still have to coordinate with the other stakes. This would add one more layer of communication which takes us further from self-service.

I'm still curious on the question of out-of-unit members.

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”