New circle mask on directory photos

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
zaneclark

Re: New circle mask on directory photos

Post by zaneclark »

I know it's a few months away and it has been suggested here previously, but I found tithing settlement to be an excellent time to get photos.
WWS36

Post by WWS36 »

Does anyone put a 'logo' in the place of a photo, in case a member says, "I don't want a photo" or "I don't want any contact from the church"? I have used a couple of logos so that I don't 'bug' the members further. I have a member that called me down on that. Is it offensive? It just gives me a reminder not to continue efforts to put photos in for that member. :?
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

WWS36 wrote:I have used a couple of logos so that I don't 'bug' the members further. I have a member that called me down on that. Is it offensive?
It depends on what it/they say. I prefer to leave the mysterious shadow when there is not a photo.

If your logo says the member desires no contact, then it violates both policy and privacy guidelines.

If your logo says I don't want my picture posted, then it is at least tacky and at most insulting. On the other hand, if you put up a logo that says my employment does not allow the posting of my picture, then you have flagged the member almost as if you actually had posted a photo.

All of which is why I just leave it alone if there is not a photo available. I have found that those who do not desire a photo are very few in number, and I keep a short list elsewhere so that I do not bug them. In fact, I can remember most of them.
chriswoodut

Post by chriswoodut »

WWS36 wrote:Does anyone put a 'logo' in the place of a photo, in case a member says, "I don't want a photo" or "I don't want any contact from the church"? I have used a couple of logos so that I don't 'bug' the members further. I have a member that called me down on that. Is it offensive? It just gives me a reminder not to continue efforts to put photos in for that member. :?
We had a membership clerk that did this in a previous ward. He just used an alternate generic shadow photo so he could tell he tried and failed. It wasn't obvious to anyone else.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

I wouldn't put it in first person ("I don't want"). Nobody likes to have words put in their mouth, even if the sentiment is accurate. Instead, a generic image that says simply "No Photo" or something like that is better. Even a solid gray square would work. Then communicate to anyone else who might add photos what to look for.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

chriswoodut wrote:We had a membership clerk that did this in a previous ward. He just used an alternate generic shadow photo so he could tell he tried and failed. It wasn't obvious to anyone else.
I think that is an excellent idea.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

lajackson wrote:
chriswoodut wrote:We had a membership clerk that did this in a previous ward. He just used an alternate generic shadow photo so he could tell he tried and failed. It wasn't obvious to anyone else.
I think that is an excellent idea.
Just make sure that other clerks or website administrators who might try to upload a photo are aware so they don't get confused.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”