Photo Size Crop

Discussions about the Directory Tool on lds.org. Questions about the Directory on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
stephen.moss88
New Member
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:24 pm

Photo Size Crop

Postby stephen.moss88 » Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:16 pm

Could we get some consistency going with the size of photos uploaded to the Photo Directory. Many systems like this one let you upload any size photo then you crop it to the exact size for the system. Personally I would like to see all the pictures in landscape (better for family photos). This is useful so you have the same user experience.

Another thought is doing a directory export as part of that app experience with be great. I know several older people that instead of clicking everyone's names would rather see it's a pdf on there device.

I would love to help in anyway I could to collaborate.

User avatar
sbradshaw
Senior Member
Posts: 2494
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:42 pm
Location: Provo, UT
Contact:

Re: Photo Size Crop

Postby sbradshaw » Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:46 pm

I agree that landscape photos are nicer and easier to work with for most purposes. I try to always take them in landscape myself. However, for whatever reason, everyone else seems to default to portrait.
Samuel Bradshaw • Interested in church apps and sites, creative recordkeeping, clerk support, YSA wards and stakes, LDS music, Vineyard at BYU, and online service.

scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee
Posts: 1048
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:55 pm
Location: Riverton, Utah

Re: Photo Size Crop

Postby scgallafent » Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:16 am

stephen.moss88 wrote:Another thought is doing a directory export as part of that app experience with be great. I know several older people that instead of clicking everyone's names would rather see it's a pdf on there device.

You can generate a PDF directory using the print capability in the online directory: https://www.lds.org/directory/

stephen.moss88
New Member
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:24 pm

Re: Photo Size Crop

Postby stephen.moss88 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:02 am

Of course you can do it that way but then you have to send it to your ios / tablet. This is the generation of apps. Lets build it into the tools.

Im more concerned about the consistency of the photo sizes though.

scgallafent wrote:
stephen.moss88 wrote:Another thought is doing a directory export as part of that app experience with be great. I know several older people that instead of clicking everyone's names would rather see it's a pdf on there device.

You can generate a PDF directory using the print capability in the online directory: https://www.lds.org/directory/

stephen.moss88
New Member
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:24 pm

Re: Photo Size Crop

Postby stephen.moss88 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:11 am

Just a thought but I'm sure its because people use the app on the phone to upload the pictures to LDS Tools. Its the easiest way and people are more likely to take it in portrait (with a phone). I guess we could just say individual are portrait and family are landscape.

We still could enforce this with the LDS Tools app. Like I said with the crop function. When you upload the picture and you can't crop it with everyone in the picture you're going to take it again landscape. We could also have membership clerks help members when they come to interviews and such.

My goal is consistency with the photo sizes and orientation. So many of the wards use to do Ward Directory Photo Books / Lists because they looked great and really helped out the members. They also had consistency because usually it was by someone that cared about the design and presentation.


sbradshaw wrote:I agree that landscape photos are nicer and easier to work with for most purposes. I try to always take them in landscape myself. However, for whatever reason, everyone else seems to default to portrait.


Return to “Directory”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest