Suggestion: visible privacy indicator

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
idefaye

Suggestion: visible privacy indicator

Post by idefaye »

Members can decide how their information is visible.
As a stake leader, when looking at the stake organisation directory, you do not see what confidentiality members have set for their emails, phone numbers, etc...
Thus it is hard to tell if you can provide an email or phone number of a member to someone else based on those confidentiality rules.

An icon, color, or any other visual indicator would help greatly in preserving the members desired confidentiality level. It would also encourage some still reticent members to provide their data on the lds.org plateforme.
mevans

Re: Suggestion: visible privacy indicator

Post by mevans »

I cannot speak for what stake leaders can see, and you did not indicate your calling. As a ward assistant clerk, I can see the privacy settings of members in my ward when using the Directory. I can also change the privacy settings. I do not know if stake clerks have this permission on the Directory. I don't think anyone else outside of stake clerks/stake presidency would have this option.

If you're anyone else in stake leadership, I would assume that if you can see a member in the Directory that the member has granted stake permission (unless that member is in your ward and has only granted ward permission).
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

mevans wrote:As a ward assistant clerk, I can see the privacy settings of members in my ward when using the Directory.
Can you see them "at a glance" or do you have to go looking for it? I think OP's point is that if you are just looking for the information, there's no indicator of what the privacy level is. You'd have to go into edit mode (assuming you have those rights) to see the setting.

Also, any print out from the directory will be lacking any privacy setting information.

Something like a padlock symbol next to information that can't be seen by normal members would be a big help. Maybe a open lock for "ward" and a closed lock for "leadership only". (I'm not keen on color since you don't know how it would be rendered by a black and white printer. It would also be a problem for the color blind.) No lock would indicate a "stake" setting.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

For me, there's a padlock that appears in the list for these members, and a yellow box above the profile that talks about privacy settings.
screenshot_45.png
(477.92 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

That's a good indication on the Household page - for the household. But OP was talking about the Organizational Directory. It's unclear if they were talking about the on-line directory or the printed version.

We also need to be concerned with the case were the member IS visible, but they may have chosen to hide a phone number.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
idefaye

Post by idefaye »

Any progress on this ?
All the remarks above are good. My request for the privacy of contact information (email, tel, etc...) to be visible directly in the directory without the need to edit the profile (if you are allowed to). In my opinion, the same visual indicateur should be used anywhere it is relevant, so not only to the online directory, but also on mobile apps, etc...
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

idefaye wrote:Any progress on this ?
This is simply a community discussion of some ideas. No one who can influence the development of features on LDS.org is likely to have seen this discussion. If you'd like to make a suggestion where it can be seen by decision makers, use the Feedback link on LDS.org (located at the bottom of most pages).

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”