Improper use of photos

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Re: Improper use of photos

Post by sbradshaw »

This is the agreement every person who uploads a photo is required to click through. It comes up for every single photo, whether it be changing a photo or adding a new photo:
screenshot_28.jpg
screenshot_28.jpg (45.26 KiB) Viewed 716 times
Talk to your bishopric and ask them to remove the photo, and make sure they talk to whoever's been uploading photos to make sure they agree to comply with Church policy and the law regarding photos. Some people think that nobody will mind (or perhaps, nobody will find out) if their photo is uploaded, but they need to be awakened to the fact that yes, there are those who notice and care, and yes, you're breaking Church policy (and possibly the law) by ignoring the photo agreement.
thetallguy wrote:Excellent Idea about the "Don't Upload" photo, eblood66
I agree that that's a great idea. Below is an image you can use if you want. Ideally, everyone should read the photo upload agreement and comply with it, but you'll always have new clerks who don't pay as much attention as they should, and sometimes people need to be reminded in other ways.
No photo.jpg
No photo.jpg (35.91 KiB) Viewed 717 times
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
mevans

Post by mevans »

In my efforts to get ward member photos, I've run across a few people who don't want their photos taken. I've actually thought of creating some kind of "don't upload" image like you suggest to help me remember who doesn't want their picture shown. I believe I also submitted feedback to add an option so that people can indicate they don't want their photo shown. It's not a lot of people, but it's hard for me to remember sometimes.
AlanIsaacson

Post by AlanIsaacson »

Anytime you are dealing with a large group of people, some will follow the rules and guidelines, and some will not. I'm not condoning those who do not follow the guidelines, just saying that it happens. And that is wrong and unfortunate. In my efforts as ward clerk, my role is to approve photos (make sure they are appropriate and meet the church standards) that have been submitted by the members themselves. It is not my place to assume that they want me to post pictures for them. Obviously if they ask me for help with submitting their photos I will assist, but that has never happened.

In fact our Bishop continues to emphasize the need and importance of organization leaders to obtain permission from the members (or if it is a youth, then their parent or guardian) before they post photos anywhere, including social media.

I agree with the suggestion to notify your Bishop or Branch President about what has happened. They have the responsibility and stewardship to watch over and ensure the privacy rights of each member in their ward or branch are being cared for. It is probably someone doing this that thinks they are helping, and the Bishop or Branch President should be able to find out very quickly who (not that many people will have permissions in the system to submit photos on behalf of another person) and put a stop to it.

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”