Issue with display of Stake 'Other Callings' when viewing lds.org directory

Discussions about the Directory Tool on lds.org. Questions about the Directory on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
User avatar
ericb
Member
Posts: 105
Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:51 am
Location: Vancouver USA

Issue with display of Stake 'Other Callings' when viewing lds.org directory

Postby ericb » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:00 pm

I did a search and was unable to find a recent report of this issue. In looking at our stake callings on LCR (Callings by Organization) and LDS Tools (both Android and Windows), they all reflect the same thing in regard to the presentation of callings under the 'Other Callings' grouping. We're good with what is shown here and have triple checked there's no duplication of custom callings amongst organization groups. However, when this info is viewed on the on-line directory under Stake Information > Stake Leaders and Organizations > Other Callings, there are several issues:

  • Most, but not all, seminary teachers are listed under the 'Other Callings' group rather than 'Seminary and Institute' group. In our case, one teacher shows under 'Seminary and Institute', and the remaining 16 show under 'Other Callings'.
  • All of the building schedulers and building specialist are listed under the 'Other Callings' group rather than the 'Facilities' group, with the stake PFR showing under 'Facilities'
  • Most, but not all, auditors are listed under the 'Other Callings group rather than 'Auditing'. In our case, two audit callings show under 'Auditing', and the remaining three show under 'Other Callings'
You get the idea. In total, LCR reflects 7 callings under the Other Callings > Other Callings category, but the lds.org directory reflects 49 callings under that same category. Obviously, this becomes confusing with like callings not being reflected together. I'll appreciate thoughts on why the the lds.org directory has this behavior, thanks!

User avatar
sbradshaw
Senior Member
Posts: 2494
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:42 pm
Location: Provo, UT
Contact:

Re: Issue with display of Stake 'Other Callings' when viewing lds.org directory

Postby sbradshaw » Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:55 am

I'm seeing the same thing for my stake on the LDS.org Directory – a couple of auditors, several young single adult advisers, our Institute supervisor, and several Institute teachers are showing under "Other Callings" even though their specific categories are listed in the list of categories. Definitely a bug with the LDS.org Directory.
Samuel Bradshaw • Interested in church apps and sites, creative recordkeeping, clerk support, YSA wards and stakes, LDS music, Vineyard at BYU, and online service.

User avatar
aebrown
Community Administrator
Posts: 14693
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:48 pm
Location: Sandy, Utah

Re: Issue with display of Stake 'Other Callings' when viewing lds.org directory

Postby aebrown » Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:14 am

I'm seeing similar odd behavior for our stake. For the Audit Committee, I noticed that the one person who shows up under "Other Callings" is the one most recently called (and yes, he definitely has a standard calling of "Audit Committee Member"). All the others, including another brother with the standard calling of "Audit Committee Member", show up under "Auditing".

Clearly this problem has nothing to do with the particular calling (ericb reported problems with the calling of Auditor, but our stake has no such problem, whereas our stake has this problem with Audit Committee Member). There's not enough data yet to draw a conclusion but I do wonder if it impacts people added to callings recently, which would imply that some code change made in the recent past negatively affects how new callings are processed and then displayed by the Directory.

User avatar
ericb
Member
Posts: 105
Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:51 am
Location: Vancouver USA

Re: Issue with display of Stake 'Other Callings' when viewing lds.org directory

Postby ericb » Sat Aug 15, 2015 10:33 am

A follow-up on this after doing an experiment...

Our Stake Website Administrator calling was showing correctly under 'Technology' on the lds.org directory. Using LCR, I released the member to clear out the calling, saved, and then added them back in. I then went to the lds.org directory and the calling no longer showed under 'Technology', but reflected under 'Other Callings'. I did the same thing for an Auditor that was correctly reflecting under the 'Auditing' category -- same results, now showing under 'Other Callings'.

russellhltn
Community Administrator
Posts: 20762
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:53 pm
Location: U.S.

Re: Issue with display of Stake 'Other Callings' when viewing lds.org directory

Postby russellhltn » Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:49 am

aebrown wrote:There's not enough data yet to draw a conclusion but I do wonder if it impacts people added to callings recently, which would imply that some code change made in the recent past negatively affects how new callings are processed and then displayed by the Directory.

Depending on what "era" of time we're talking about - it could be a calling added by LCR vs. added by MLS.
Have you searched the Wiki?
Try using a Google search by adding "site:tech.lds.org/wiki" to the search criteria.

jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee
Posts: 1454
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:12 am
Location: Farmington, UT, USA

Re: Issue with display of Stake 'Other Callings' when viewing lds.org directory

Postby jonesrk » Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:43 pm

It's an issue of when the callings were added. In CDOL we store the top level organization that the callings are under. That is what the directory uses. LCR and LDS tools both use the more correct tree structure so all the callings fall in the correct place. The problem for directory is that when we restructured things and moved many of the organizations underneath Other Callings the existing positions didn't get that top level organization updated so for directory they are still appearing as if the organization still exists at the top level instead of being under Other Callings. I just discovered this problem this week, but was on vacation for the last few days. I'll be looking at fixing it in the next few days.
Ryan Jones
CDOL Developer
Stake Technology Specialist - Software / Stake Assistant Clerk
Former Ward Clerk

User avatar
sbradshaw
Senior Member
Posts: 2494
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:42 pm
Location: Provo, UT
Contact:

Re: Issue with display of Stake 'Other Callings' when viewing lds.org directory

Postby sbradshaw » Sun Aug 16, 2015 7:51 pm

I like having all the organizations on the top level rather than buried. Several of the buried callings are ones I access frequently. Do we know why this change was made?
Samuel Bradshaw • Interested in church apps and sites, creative recordkeeping, clerk support, YSA wards and stakes, LDS music, Vineyard at BYU, and online service.

User avatar
ericb
Member
Posts: 105
Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:51 am
Location: Vancouver USA

Re: Issue with display of Stake 'Other Callings' when viewing lds.org directory

Postby ericb » Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:38 pm

sbradshaw wrote:I like having all the organizations on the top level rather than buried. Several of the buried callings are ones I access frequently. Do we know why this change was made?


I agree with sbradshaw -- having org lists nested under 'Other Callings' seems unnecessary, but perhaps the reasons for this could be shared. The current solution does result in a 'Other Callings > Other Callings' scenario, which based on my own experience has been a usability 'no no'. Assuming the nesting had to stay in place, a suggestion would be 'Other Organizations > Other Callings'

jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee
Posts: 1454
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:12 am
Location: Farmington, UT, USA

Re: Issue with display of Stake 'Other Callings' when viewing lds.org directory

Postby jonesrk » Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:43 pm

jonesrk wrote:It's an issue of when the callings were added. In CDOL we store the top level organization that the callings are under. That is what the directory uses. LCR and LDS tools both use the more correct tree structure so all the callings fall in the correct place. The problem for directory is that when we restructured things and moved many of the organizations underneath Other Callings the existing positions didn't get that top level organization updated so for directory they are still appearing as if the organization still exists at the top level instead of being under Other Callings. I just discovered this problem this week, but was on vacation for the last few days. I'll be looking at fixing it in the next few days.

I have fixed the problem, now everyone should be in the correct organizations.
Ryan Jones

CDOL Developer

Stake Technology Specialist - Software / Stake Assistant Clerk

Former Ward Clerk

jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee
Posts: 1454
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:12 am
Location: Farmington, UT, USA

Re: Issue with display of Stake 'Other Callings' when viewing lds.org directory

Postby jonesrk » Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:47 pm

ericb wrote:I agree with sbradshaw -- having org lists nested under 'Other Callings' seems unnecessary, but perhaps the reasons for this could be shared. The current solution does result in a 'Other Callings > Other Callings' scenario, which based on my own experience has been a usability 'no no'. Assuming the nesting had to stay in place, a suggestion would be 'Other Organizations > Other Callings'

That is because those callings are really in the top level other callings organization, but they didn't want to try and display the callings mixed in with the organizations, so the created the extra artificial layer.
Ryan Jones

CDOL Developer

Stake Technology Specialist - Software / Stake Assistant Clerk

Former Ward Clerk


Return to “Directory”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest