Addresses missing in the ward directory

Discussions about the Directory Tool on lds.org. Questions about the Directory on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
hollywelch
New Member
Posts: 20
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:27 pm
Location: Kaysville Utah

Addresses missing in the ward directory

Postby hollywelch » Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:12 pm

We have quite a few members who's addresses are missing in the directory. I've supposed they marked them private and didn't think much of it until several of them contacted me to tell me that their address was missing. I walked them through the settings to mark their address viewable to the ward and/or stake and it wouldn't save their settings. Solutions?

russellhltn
Community Administrator
Posts: 20781
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:53 pm
Location: U.S.

Re: Addresses missing in the ward directory

Postby russellhltn » Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:23 pm

Is the privacy setting not saving? What if you close the page and go back in? I seem to remember a caching problem where the page would show you your old settings, but it did in fact save.

And when you say the addresses are missing, who is looking at it? If it's a member of the Bishopric or a clerk, they should see the address regardless of the privacy settings. It might be wroth testing to see if it's privacy or something else.
Have you searched the Wiki?
Try using a Google search by adding "site:tech.lds.org/wiki" to the search criteria.

hollywelch
New Member
Posts: 20
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:27 pm
Location: Kaysville Utah

Re: Addresses missing in the ward directory

Postby hollywelch » Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:01 pm

russellhltn wrote:Is the privacy setting not saving? What if you close the page and go back in? I seem to remember a caching problem where the page would show you your old settings, but it did in fact save.

And when you say the addresses are missing, who is looking at it? If it's a member of the Bishopric or a clerk, they should see the address regardless of the privacy settings. It might be wroth testing to see if it's privacy or something else.


All addresses were visible to the Stake Presidency (I'm not certain about the bishopric) but not to other stake/ward leadership or general members.

It was not saving even when a Bishopric or Stake presidency member tried to edit and save it. Today I had my husband go in and try to do it with the "close the page and go back in" trick and it fixed the problem. (Note: This approach did not work when I helped a member do it for their own account.) Strangely enough, this seemed to universally fix the problem for the other 30 families without having to do them separately. Upon closer inspection, the privacy setting didn't actually change to "Stake" from "Private" but the addresses still showed up from my account. With members permission we changed them back to stake or ward visibility. This has happened a couple times during the past year and a half. After the addresses seemed to be fixed, via my husbands stake account, sometime later someone will go to get an address and it's missing again. Many, if not all, the members with the problem are the same each time. Why does the privacy settings on the household information keep changing to private for certain members?

russellhltn
Community Administrator
Posts: 20781
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:53 pm
Location: U.S.

Re: Addresses missing in the ward directory

Postby russellhltn » Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:25 pm

hollywelch wrote:All addresses were visible to the Stake Presidency (I'm not certain about the bishopric) but not to other stake/ward leadership or general members.


For "Leadership Only", "Leadership" means stake presidency, ward bishopric, executive secretaries, and clerks. It doesn't include quorum or auxiliary presidencies. They're the same as normal members.


hollywelch wrote:It was not saving even when a Bishopric or Stake presidency member tried to edit and save it. Today I had my husband go in and try to do it with the "close the page and go back in" trick and it fixed the problem. (Note: This approach did not work when I helped a member do it for their own account.) Strangely enough, this seemed to universally fix the problem for the other 30 families without having to do them separately. Upon closer inspection, the privacy setting didn't actually change to "Stake" from "Private" but the addresses still showed up from my account.

I'm not 100% clear on what you're describing, but I think it's the caching issue. The browser has to be reset to see the true settings once it's been changed.


hollywelch wrote:With members permission we changed them back to stake or ward visibility. This has happened a couple times during the past year and a half. After the addresses seemed to be fixed, via my husbands stake account, sometime later someone will go to get an address and it's missing again. Many, if not all, the members with the problem are the same each time. Why does the privacy settings on the household information keep changing to private for certain members?

Once before someone suspected the settings were changing itself. This is only the second report and the most detail we've gotten. So I really don't have an answer here. Any details found would be helpful.

If I had to guess, it might be related to the caching issue - if someone makes a change to a record, the privacy settings from the last viewed record gets saved into the current record. Or some kind of cross-pollination between records. If you can figure out how to reproduce it, it would be most helpful. (I don't have enough rights to try.)
Have you searched the Wiki?

Try using a Google search by adding "site:tech.lds.org/wiki" to the search criteria.

hollywelch
New Member
Posts: 20
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:27 pm
Location: Kaysville Utah

Re: Addresses missing in the ward directory

Postby hollywelch » Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:09 pm

For "Leadership Only", "Leadership" means stake presidency, ward bishopric, executive secretaries, and clerks. It doesn't include quorum or auxiliary presidencies. They're the same as normal members.

Thank you for the clarification

I'm not 100% clear on what you're describing, but I think it's the caching issue. The browser has to be reset to see the true settings once it's been changed.

Agreed.

Once before someone suspected the settings were changing itself. This is only the second report and the most detail we've gotten. So I really don't have an answer here. Any details found would be helpful.

If I had to guess, it might be related to the caching issue - if someone makes a change to a record, the privacy settings from the last viewed record gets saved into the current record. Or some kind of cross-pollination between records. If you can figure out how to reproduce it, it would be most helpful. (I don't have enough rights to try.)


Thank you for your help tonight. Everything seems to be working now but if it happens again I will gather as much information as I can and pass it on. I'm surprised others are not reporting this problem...unless, they just don't know who to report it too. As I look through our stake directory there are quite a number of families who's address doesn't show up while all the rest of their info is made public to the entire stake. While they may of marked it this way, it seems like a good possibility that they did not, and are having the same problem as my ward.

russellhltn
Community Administrator
Posts: 20781
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:53 pm
Location: U.S.

Re: Addresses missing in the ward directory

Postby russellhltn » Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:30 pm

hollywelch wrote:I'm surprised others are not reporting this problem...unless, they just don't know who to report it too.

That's one possibility. But part if it is there's a good dozen people who could have edited it - including the member. So it take a fair amount of asking around to determine that it's not something someone is doing.

And if I'm right about the cause, it's also dependent on how active a given unit is in updating via the directory as opposed to other tools available (MLS, LCR).
Have you searched the Wiki?

Try using a Google search by adding "site:tech.lds.org/wiki" to the search criteria.


Return to “Directory”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest