How to send email to the HP's

Discussions about the Directory Tool on lds.org. Questions about the Directory on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
werobbins

How to send email to the HP's

Postby werobbins » Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:17 pm

Directory/Organization/High Priest/Email all/select all/can't find a way to copy to email!

russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: How to send email to the HP's

Postby russellhltn » Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:27 pm

Yeah, there does seem to be something missing. In a windows machine, I can press ctrl-C and it copies it to the clipboard where I can paste it where it's needed. It looks like command-C does it for Macs.

Attempting to right-click causes the selection to be lost and there's no button for copy. So there doesn't seem to be a GUI way to do it.
Have you searched the Wiki?
Try using a Google search by adding "site:tech.lds.org/wiki" to the search criteria.

aebrown
Community Administrator

Postby aebrown » Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:43 pm

russellhltn wrote:Yeah, there does seem to be something missing. In a windows machine, I can press ctrl-C and it copies it to the clipboard where I can paste it where it's needed. It looks like command-C does it for Macs.

This is the way it has worked for quite a while (ever since the feature was changed to stop trying to interface with the default mail client, which caused a variety of problems). It's your responsibility to copy the list of addresses to the clipboard. That's what the instructions say: "Copy/Paste recipients into your email client of choice from the recipient list below." So I don't see what's missing.

russellhltn wrote:Attempting to right-click causes the selection to be lost and there's no button for copy. So there doesn't seem to be a GUI way to do it.

In Firefox or IE11, a right-click works just fine -- when you right click over the selected addresses, you have the option for "Copy" which does indeed copy the list of addresses. But in Chrome, you're right -- a right click clears the selection.

russellhltn
Community Administrator

Postby russellhltn » Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:52 pm

aebrown wrote:That's what the instructions say: "Copy/Paste recipients into your email client of choice from the recipient list below." So I don't see what's missing.

Oh, they're expecting us to read instructions??? ;)
Is there something that keeps them from implementing that as a button or something? It me a good interface is one that doesn't require one to read the instructions.

aebrown wrote:But in Chrome, you're right -- a right click clears the selection.

I was testing in IE11. So that's 1 for 3.

Try using a Google search by adding "site:tech.lds.org/wiki" to the search criteria.

aebrown
Community Administrator

Postby aebrown » Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:54 pm

russellhltn wrote:I was testing in IE11. So that's 1 for 3.

Hmm. As I said, I tested in IE11 and it worked fine. So I was 2 for 3.

russellhltn
Community Administrator

Postby russellhltn » Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:17 pm

My error. I forgot my default for my work machine is Chrome. So it was Chrome that failed, not IE. IE works fine.

Return to “Directory”