export households from ward directory?

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: export households from ward directory?

Post by aebrown »

nilsonsnest wrote:I see on one post to go to directory and maps. Where is that located?
Sign in to LDS.org, then in the Tools menu at the top, choose Maps. Go to the "View Your Ward" (or "My Ward and Stake") area. Immediately below the drop down lists of units in your stake in the upper left corner, you should see links for Directory and Download. The Download link is what you want.

For each household, you'll see the following information:
  • Longitude
  • Latitude
  • Household (name)
  • Street
  • City
  • State
  • Zip
  • Phone
  • Location Status (e.g., "Verified", "Unmapped", etc.)
rebakay

Post by rebakay »

Thanks for those directions - this list helps. However, the Email field is coming up blank for most people. Also, this seems to be a list of general household info without Individual contact info. Both the email and the individual contact info are what I need.

Is there any way we can request that the Export function be added back the way it used to be? It is so much quicker to export, filter for the people you need, and import them as contacts vs having to input contacts by hand, esp when lists change often. It sounds like I could request a CSV from someone like the clerk, but again not very convenient, esp when you just need a dozen or so names.
wpyszczek

Post by wpyszczek »

RossEvans wrote:
kennymcnett wrote:I'm an EQ President and no longer have access to export households. I used it regularly to manage and arrange home teaching. Is there a way for someone to grant export right to my account?
The tools on lds.org never have been very useful for leadership when their needs include exporting and downloading data. Now even the simple export of directory information -- without many of the extra data fields that leaders frequently need -- is being crippled further. Until the Leader and Clerk Resources tools online include both a robust custom-reporting function as well as export capability for various callings (and in your case, home teaching data) it cannot come close to matching the functionality of MLS for leaders.

In the case you pose, I suggest that you forgo lds.org, and ask your ward clerk to export a HomeTeaching.csv file for you from MLS. (He will need admin permissions in MLS to do this.) This file contains name-address-phone-email for every household in the ward, whether or not they have home teachers assigned, along with the home-teaching companionships and supervisors assigned (if any) in a simple CSV file. You have to get this at church, so it is not as convenient as online access. But if you are like most EQ presidents, I'll bet you only need it routinely once a month.
I'm also an EQ president and found the export function to be very useful. Please DO NOT presume to know how others may use that function or whether or not you believe it is useful.
Frankly, MLS is very archaic to the point of being useless for what I want to do with directory information. At the very least it should have a page break and sort break by selected criteria and it does not. I wrote programs 30 years ago on mainframes that used that very simple reporting technique. Excel and Word run circles around MLS, as long as I can import the data.
Please restore the export function.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

wpyszczek wrote:I'm also an EQ president and found the export function to be very useful. Please DO NOT presume to know how others may use that function or whether or not you believe it is useful.

Frankly, MLS is very archaic to the point of being useless for what I want to do with directory information. At the very least it should have a page break and sort break by selected criteria and it does not. I wrote programs 30 years ago on mainframes that used that very simple reporting technique. Excel and Word run circles around MLS, as long as I can import the data.
Please restore the export function.
Please note that although MLS has its weaknesses, it can certainly export anything you need. So talk to your ward clerk and ask him to give you the appropriate export data that you need for your calling. You can then import that information into Excel and let it run circles around MLS as you sort, filter, and format the data.
Cheb

Post by Cheb »

I received a response on this subject and was told the export feature has not been taken out. Since it is missing on my computer but not on the ward clerk's, I would agree it is calling specific. However, since I am the building coordinator, I need the list for cleaning schedules. I keep sending help requests and as of yet, not been told it was removed. Perhaps if we all keep sending help requests, they will fix the bug.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

Cheb wrote:I received a response on this subject and was told the export feature has not been taken out. Since it is missing on my computer but not on the ward clerk's, I would agree it is calling specific.
Yes, that has been well established by many people who have posted on this topic.
Cheb wrote:However, since I am the building coordinator, I need the list for cleaning schedules.
There is an export feature in the Maps tools, available to all members. This was noted here and detailed here. Is there a reason that export feature is insufficient for your needs as building coordinator?
Cheb wrote:I keep sending help requests and as of yet, not been told it was removed. Perhaps if we all keep sending help requests, they will fix the bug.
I'm not so sure that it is considered to be a bug. I think it's more likely that it was an intentional change.
crests

Post by crests »

Our ward had a utility program that used the csv file to create a ward list on one page, front and back side. Now the only option is to use your ward list program, but it bloats the list with so much white space the list is four pages long, even with smallest font, no margins, and max number of columns. Now that stake directories are not available, it was a nice way to have an inexpensive one-page list that could be easily updated every few months. Any chance you could put it back the way it was? Is it really that important to lock down so many things on your web site?
b321gonzo

Post by b321gonzo »

I'm currently serving a mission. With doing that, when I go to the directory section it lets me view information for both my home stake and the stake I'm serving in. But it doesn't have export households. And when I go to the maps to export data, it only has the information for my home stake and doesn't give me the option for the stake I'm serving in. It's very helpful to sort by address since we are limited on our miles.
mevans

Post by mevans »

b321gonzo wrote:I'm currently serving a mission. With doing that, when I go to the directory section it lets me view information for both my home stake and the stake I'm serving in. But it doesn't have export households. And when I go to the maps to export data, it only has the information for my home stake and doesn't give me the option for the stake I'm serving in. It's very helpful to sort by address since we are limited on our miles.
So far, the only the Directory tool has been made available to missionaries for the ward in which they serve. Other tools, such as Maps, don't have this feature. We don't know if or when it will be available. It's quite new that missionaries have access to the ward directory for the ward to which they are assigned.
TDilworth

Post by TDilworth »

My calling has not changed, still RS Sec. Used to be able to export ward directory to Excel. Now that is not an option. Help topic still states we should be able to do this. Please fix this bug. I really don't have the time to manually edit list for the RS Pres. each time it is requested.

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”