Primary is missing from organization list

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
mevans

Primary is missing from organization list

Post by mevans »

When you click on Organizations in the directory, Primary isn't listed. Why is this? I wouldn't think it's a child protection issue, as the parents have a privacy choice regarding whether to show their children in the directory.

Of course, for Primary, having an option to "Email all Primary" like there is for other organizations isn't going to be useful, as many of the Primary children don't have emails; however, if it was "Email all Parents of Primary Children" would be great.
kisaac
Community Moderators

Re: Primary is missing from organization list

Post by kisaac »

Of course, primary leadership and workers ARE displayed under "ward leaders / primary...."
mevans wrote:parents have a privacy choice regarding whether to show their children in the directory.
Isn't this only as a family option? As in:
Display my family on the
  • stake level, the
    ward level, or
    private-don't show my family at all, (still viewable to leaders.)
I can select if my children have emails, phones and photos displayed, on those same levels. I only have teenagers now, so perhaps I'm not correct.

I suspect it is a privacy decision. A parent would have no way for their children not to be listed in a "primary" directory option, if it existed, unless they set their whole family to "private" in the directory. Since any primary leader and teacher has access to class directories and rolls now through ward and primary leaders, one could easily question why anyone else would need this information....
Also, the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act governs children's online data when under thirteen- Primary age!

Now, If you are wishing class teachers and primary leaders could print their own class roll or lists through LDS.org, (information about the children over which they have a stewardship....) Hmmmmm
mevans

Post by mevans »

In the directory, there are visibility options for each family member, as well as the household. Parents could choose to have their children excluded from such a primary list.
Gary_Miller

Post by Gary_Miller »

mevans wrote:When you click on Organizations in the directory, Primary isn't listed. Why is this?
I don't see where there would be a need for a primary directory behind leaders and teachers. If someone wanted to get information to a primary child about an activity they would most likely call the parent not the child, and the leaders/teachers would have that information. As a clerk I would not give a primary listing to anyone besides leaders/teachers so i don't think that list should be available on the directory for all members.

There is a reason we require to deep teachers in primary and its not to help keep the children reverent.
kisaac
Community Moderators

Post by kisaac »

mevans wrote:Parents could choose to have their children excluded from such a primary list.
When it comes to children's names (not phones, photos or emails,) I think I'll stand by my earlier post; currently it's Show ALL my family or Show NONE of my family. A primary directory, if it existed then, would show my children, unless I set my family visibility to private.
Gary_Miller

Post by Gary_Miller »

kisaac wrote:
mevans wrote:Parents could choose to have their children excluded from such a primary list.
When it comes to children's names (not phones, photos or emails,) I think I'll stand by my earlier post; currently it's Show ALL my family or Show NONE of my family. A primary directory, if it existed then, would show my children, unless I set my family visibility to private.
Yes and Yes
Here is the note from the help in the directory

Note: If you want to make some household members private and others public, you can do so. The visibility settings are granular enough that each household member can have different visibility settings. However, regardless of the individual visibility setting for a family member, no visibility setting can exceed that of the Household Visibility Limit.
mevans

Post by mevans »

Most likely the need for Primary (or YM or YW for that matter) would be for organization leaders to easily email the organization's membership (or the parents of the organization's membership).

There are rumors that things like clerk tools will be opened up to other organization leaders to see the info they need to see for their organization. Maybe that's a better place to provide such email options.
eldeans

Post by eldeans »

As a Primary President I would greatly benefit from having an "Email all Parents of Primary Age Children" Button. For Privacy reasons it could only be available to the Primary Presidency.

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”