Out of Unit Leader Photos

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
CSnelson

Post by CSnelson »

So there is no way for me to take a photo of my stake president and upload it and have it approved by him or anyone else in our stake for at least our YSA stake?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

CSnelson wrote:So there is no way for me to take a photo of my stake president and upload it and have it approved by him or anyone else in our stake for at least our YSA stake?
That's correct. His membership records are not in your stake, and therefore you have no jurisdiction over approving his photo. That responsibility lies with his home ward, where his membership records are.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
CSnelson

Post by CSnelson »

Is there a reason why there isn't a stake level administrator that can approve photos?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

CSnelson wrote:Is there a reason why there isn't a stake level administrator that can approve photos?
I don't know; that's just the way it was implemented. But that particular issue has nothing to do with YSA stakes -- even stake level clerks and leaders in regular stakes can't do anything with photos.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
CSnelson

Post by CSnelson »

Yeah I realize that it has nothing to do with this particular issue but at the same time it kinda does because we have feeder stakes for leadership and it would be nice to be able to just call up the clerk of those ten or so stakes and get it taken care of instead of each leader having to go ask their home ward clerk to take care of it.
ehallmark

Re: Out of Unit Leader Photos

Post by ehallmark »

I am wondering what the likelihood is for letting the ward website administrator in a YSA ward approve photos for their own out-of-unit leader photos. Surely there should be a way that MLS could "find" the leader and identify them with the ward, considering that they show up in the ward leadership section. Is there a simple programming fix that would allow their names to appear as options in the photo upload section if said names are identified in the leadership section? This would save a lot of time as I do not have time to try to find and contact the names of the home ward website administrator for each of the members of our bishopric. We would like to have the photos accessible for new members to become more familiar with the bishopric more quickly. Thank you for considering this!
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

ehallmark wrote:I am wondering what the likelihood is for letting the ward website administrator in a YSA ward approve photos for their own out-of-unit leader photos.
This is possible. But programming to permit one unit to edit membership records in another unit may be required. Or programming that allows a photo to be linked to a temporary record would be needed. I think the second option is the best choice. I am sure they are working on a solution. We just don't know what it is or when it will be deployed.
ehallmark wrote:Surely there should be a way that MLS could "find" the leader and identify them with the ward, considering that they show up in the ward leadership section.
Leaders serving as out of unit members have a temporary record created in the unit MLS for the unit they are serving in. That temporary record is not linked for update purposes to their permanent record. Any changes made to the temporary record only reside within the service unit's MLS.
ehallmark wrote:Is there a simple programming fix that would allow their names to appear as options in the photo upload section if said names are identified in the leadership section?
I don't know the complexity of any programming required to link a photo to a temporary record. Currently photos can only be linked to permanent records. A solution to this issue would benefit other temporary record photo situations such as for nonmember spouses.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

jdlessley wrote:I don't know the complexity of any programming required to link a photo to a temporary record. Currently photos can only be linked to permanent records. A solution to this issue would benefit other temporary record photo situations such as for nonmember spouses.
If temporary records had their own data synced to LDS.org it would also allow bishops to put preferred contact info for their members vs. their home ward – for example, a bishop might have an email address "ward-bishop-123@example.com" for his members to email him where he's serving, and a different email address for his home ward members to contact him...
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

sbradshaw wrote:
jdlessley wrote:I don't know the complexity of any programming required to link a photo to a temporary record. Currently photos can only be linked to permanent records. A solution to this issue would benefit other temporary record photo situations such as for nonmember spouses.
If temporary records had their own data synced to LDS.org it would also allow bishops to put preferred contact info for their members vs. their home ward – for example, a bishop might have an email address "ward-bishop-123@example.com" for his members to email him where he's serving, and a different email address for his home ward members to contact him...
Actually he can have a different email for his calling in CDOL than he has in lds.org directory for his home ward.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

JonesRK wrote:
sbradshaw wrote:
Actually he can have a different email for his calling in CDOL than he has in lds.org directory for his home ward.
That's true, but the members of his ward won't be able to look up his email on CDOL...

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”