Criteria based directory list for aux leaders

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
Gary_Miller

Re: Criteria based directory list for aux leaders

Post by Gary_Miller »

akjenkins wrote:I was not aware of this, only pointing out an inconsistency that I have observed in my personal experience.
Don't worry about it. Its been my experiance that many Clerks and Bishops who control the MLS rights seem to give out the wrong right to organization leaders. The most incorrect is the rights to modify or view membership records.
akjenkins wrote:Is there a document that I can point my Ward Clerk or Bishopric to that would correct or tells about the appropriate user rights of each calling?
Only the handbook of instructions (HB1) which states that only Bishops and Ward Clerks should have access to membership records. In my ward the Bishopric members don't even have access to membership record. However, there are many reports in MLS that auxlary leaders have access to that don't have any sensitive information to help them fulfill their calling.
akjenkins wrote:And, what is deemed sensitive and what is not?
Information found on the individual membership record that is not available on a ward directory.
akjenkins wrote:(i.e. a list of part-member families vs. not knowing there is another head of household that is not a member? Or who is in that youth Sunday School class age group that lives close to this investigator family that could befriend a son/daughter?)
You can get all this information off of verious reports out of MLS that are available to all leaders. Also working closely with other members of the Ward Council will help you in finding this information.
akjenkins wrote:Also, it also seems in-congruent that those on the Ward Council who are discussing sensitive matters can not have access to real-time basic information that would help them do their callings better
The Bishop can share any sensitive information in Ward Council he feels is need to help leaders fulfill their calling this information is given in confidence. Sensitive information is usually not found on the standard reports in MLS.
akjenkins wrote:rather than waiting for another print out report from the Ward Clerk.
Thats the clerks responsibility use him and abuse him.
akjenkins wrote:(What if your Ward Clerk has become ill or less active and is not as good or as understanding as the last Ward Clerk?)
If he is ill see the assistant clerk. If he is less active then help him become active by asking him for information this will help him feel needed and soon he will catch on. If he is not as good or understanding as the last Ward Clerk, still ask him for the information he will soon catch on and help out better. Most of all be patent and keep asking, going around the clerks will not help them in fulfillment of their calling.
akjenkins wrote:How about a tool that the Ward Clerk could set up and send out automatic reports to the Ward Council, and those reports could be uploaded to mobile devices? In other words, moving from the print out paper side to the upload iPad side.
While it is not automatic the tool for the clerk to send out reports is already in place on the MLS system as well as Clerk Resources on LDS.org. There is not much a clerk can't do if their willing to figure it out, all the need to know is that there is a need.
akjenkins wrote:Look at it also from this perspective: when the new Handbook 2 came out, it was published to the world, not just to a select few. It also gave new light and guidance on information and communication on how the Ward Council was to work. The technology is moving in that direction fast to help Ward Councils function as they should, I'm probably a little impatient, and only trying to express some things that would help me in my specific calling now. I do not want or need Handbook 1 or that level of sensitive information, I do need information to make me successful in carrying out Handbook 2.
And all that information is available through your ward clerk. The problem I'm starting to see is that do to the capabilities of technology many leaders would like to have instant access to that information without have to go thorough someone else to get it. While I feel their pain its just not currently there yet. However, its my belief that it heading in that direction its just going to take time to get it all sorted out.

In the mean time go see you wonderful Clerk and let him help you get what it is you need. I'm sure he will be more than happy to help you.
mevans

Re: Criteria based directory list for aux leaders

Post by mevans »

A bishop may have good reason for not sharing all sensitive information. When I was in a ward council, I didn't necessarily get complete printouts; the bishopric would sometimes filter them. I don't know why and didn't need to know why. In ward council we might discuss some sensitive situations, but I know there were other sensitive situations for which ward council was too big of an audience.

With the local computer in the clerk's office, permissions may be given out based on inspiration of the bishop, but for the web-based system the church went with callings-based permissions that are standard throughout the church. The information is more accessible to the members, but the price of accessibility is that it's not as customizable per individual. Bear in mind that the church must deal with information, privacy, and child protection laws that are inconsistent throughout the world. I imagine it's a significant task to come up with something that works for everyone.

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”