Stake YM/YW Visibility to Unit Youth and Calendars

Discussions about the Directory Tool on lds.org. Questions about the Directory on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
Ktwitchell001
New Member
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:12 pm

Stake YM/YW Visibility to Unit Youth and Calendars

Postby Ktwitchell001 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:16 pm

This might be in another suggestion, but our stake youth leaders do not have visibility to youth names in LDS tools for any youth outside their own ward. The stake presidency is able to see all youth, and we were hopeful that is a configurable item. We make paper copies because we can't see the on-line versions.

In the same way, they are not able to see ward calendars, so scheduling stake events is also difficult.

Our stake clerk says this is not configurable.

User avatar
aebrown
Community Administrator
Posts: 14693
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:48 pm
Location: Sandy, Utah

Re: Stake YM/YW Visibility to Unit Youth and Calendars

Postby aebrown » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:26 pm

Ktwitchell001 wrote:This might be in another suggestion, but our stake youth leaders do not have visibility to youth names in LDS tools for any youth outside their own ward. The stake presidency is able to see all youth, and we were hopeful that is a configurable item. We make paper copies because we can't see the on-line versions.

That is not configurable. The implementation of Church privacy policy is built into the application, and prevents youth and children from being seen by members of other wards. Only certain stake leaders such as the stake presidency and stake clerk can see these young people across the whole stake. It is not configurable.

Ktwitchell001 wrote:In the same way, they are not able to see ward calendars, so scheduling stake events is also difficult.

Our stake clerk says this is not configurable.

You really should have posted this topic separately in the Calendar forum. It's correct that this is not configurable. See the topic viewing other ward calendars (and post any follow-up there).

russellhltn
Community Administrator
Posts: 20767
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:53 pm
Location: U.S.

Re: Stake YM/YW Visibility to Unit Youth and Calendars

Postby russellhltn » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:35 pm

This has been discussed in other threads, but you may want to review the role of the stake youth leaders to see if they should be working with the youth directly or with the ward youth leaders. I'm sure this decision was not made lightly by some CHQ programmer.
Have you searched the Wiki?
Try using a Google search by adding "site:tech.lds.org/wiki" to the search criteria.

Ktwitchell001
New Member
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:12 pm

Re: Stake YM/YW Visibility to Unit Youth and Calendars

Postby Ktwitchell001 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:54 pm

HB 2 calls for a stake youth committee, so there are directives for working directly with youth at a stake level. Also, planning for counts of youth to attend youth conference and other events are impeded because of this issue.

There are no instances I am aware of where stake primary individuals are required to work with primary children, so I don't believe the restriction has the same impact there.

A more nuanced privacy implementation, whereby perhaps only stake YM and YW have visibility would require exposing a total of 8 more adults to the information (10 if high counselors assigned to YM and YW are included) would be appropriate it seems to me.

User avatar
aebrown
Community Administrator
Posts: 14693
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:48 pm
Location: Sandy, Utah

Re: Stake YM/YW Visibility to Unit Youth and Calendars

Postby aebrown » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:00 pm

Ktwitchell001 wrote:HB 2 calls for a stake youth committee, so there are directives for working directly with youth at a stake level. Also, planning for counts of youth to attend youth conference and other events are impeded because of this issue.

I see your argument, but I've never heard of youth leaders coming up with counts on their own -- they always ask a clerk. It takes a few minutes once or twice a year. That's not a very strong argument for changing the privacy model. And it's easy enough to gather contact information for a stake youth committee.

I'm not saying your argument doesn't have merit, but the examples you cited are rare and easily worked around. So I certainly hope that all these activities move forward with no claims that the privacy model of the Directory on LDS.org is any significant impediment. For now, the best course of action is to ask the clerks to help gather the information; that's one of the purposes of their callings, after all.

russellhltn
Community Administrator
Posts: 20767
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:53 pm
Location: U.S.

Re: Stake YM/YW Visibility to Unit Youth and Calendars

Postby russellhltn » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:37 pm

Ktwitchell001 wrote:Also, planning for counts of youth to attend youth conference and other events are impeded because of this issue.


I'd think that asking the ward youth leaders would be a better plan. They'd know who might come out and who is "in name only".
Have you searched the Wiki?

Try using a Google search by adding "site:tech.lds.org/wiki" to the search criteria.

genman
Member
Posts: 136
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:51 pm
Location: US

Re: Stake YM/YW Visibility to Unit Youth and Calendars

Postby genman » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:15 pm

Ktwitchell001 wrote:HB 2 calls for a stake youth committee, so there are directives for working directly with youth at a stake level.

It looks like Directory supports contacting youth quorum and class presidencies of other units within the Stake, even if it is not a full list of all youth. Look under Directory > Ward Leaders.


Return to “Directory”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: greggo and 1 guest